Silcock replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
OK, I admit it. I left the hose connected all last winter and now my rear silcock is split. The silcock has a threaded end. If I replace it with a threaded-end silcock, how do I install the silcock with spout pointing down outside, while ensuring the threaded fitting inside the house is tight and not leaking? Thanks.

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
The inlet connection should have the word " TOP " stamped into it; or there should be some type of lug cast into the inlet that aligns with the hose connection. If those are pointed down when your supply connection is completed, the hose connection will be pointing down. Example:
cutaway.jpg

Higgledy

Reaction score
Two more questions.

The copper tube feeding the silcock is 1/2", reduced from a 3/4" main. If I replace the 1/2" copper with 3/4" so that the entire run from the main to the silcock is 3/4" copper tubing, will I get increased water flow at the silcock? (also, I'd buy a 3/4" wall hydrant replacement)

What is the correct spacing between copper pipe supports in a residential house?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "hole" in the sillcock will determine how much water you will get and it is the same in both 1/2" and 3/4" faucets, AND much smaller than even a 1/2" copper line. Therefore, there is absolutely no benefit to changing anything.

Reactions: SHR

Higgledy

Reaction score
Last edited:

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score

Higgledy

Reaction score
Lowes sells Woodford wall hydrants for almost half the price of plumbing supply stores. Do you think the quality of what Lowes is selling less than the quality of the local plumbing supply store? Thank you.

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
The quality should be the same. I don't know of any manufacturers selling different versions of the same model to big box vs. wholesalers. The difference in the price you see is probably due to volume. Lowe's buys 1,000's of units at a time and has them shipped to their distribution centers. The supply house may only buy 24 at a time, for example. Lowes gets a much better price due to the extremely high volume and ease of shipping to one destination.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most common difference is in the quality control/final inspection. Since the big box stores sell items with defects that the plumbing wholesaler never does, it appears they do NOT do a final inspection. YOU are the final inspector so if it is defective, you bring it back and get a new one, and the dispose of the bad one, which they woud have done anyway. If it is defective and you do NOT bring it back, then they do not have to discard it and they have made a profit on it. Either way it is a "win" for them, and a "loss" for you, either time or money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks