Shower valve connection leak, need help

Users who are viewing this thread

barronmi

Reaction score
I am currently undergoing my first remodel job, a walk-in shower and have just installed a new shower valve, piping, etc. The shower valve consists of threaded male connections. I used teflon tape when connecting the copper adapters, then soldered to the copper piping. All in all, I'm pretty happy with all of my soldering. At first glance, my initial leak test looked good, but upon closer inspection I noticed the smallest of leaks on one of the threaded valve connections. The leak is literally a drop every ten minutes. But of course that is not good enough. Now I don't know what to do. I really hope there is a solution that doesn't involve removing the valve and reinstalling.

Unfortunately I discovered this forum after the installation. Of course if I could have a redo, I would have used pipe dope with the teflon tape.

Any suggestions? Is there anything that I can apply to the connection for an added seal?

Thanks in advance for your help. And what a great forum, just wished I would have discovered before my install.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Gonna need to cut the pipe, crank down on the male adapter some more and then sweat a slip coupling in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thread

I would have eliminated the tape and just used the pipe joint compound, (or more likely I would have soldered the male adapters to the valve), but that is a personal preference. Take it apart and retighten it.

barronmi

Reaction score
So there is no easy fix? I thought there would be some kind of plumbers putty or similar product that would work, especially because it is such a minor leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Put some epoxy putty on it, but remember where it is so someday in the future if it starts leaking again you will know where to cut the wall open

barronmi

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I've decided to fix it permanently so I'll be disconnecting the valve. I plan to use pipe dope on the threads this time. Should I use this in conjunction with teflon tape? Or just stick with the Pipe Dope?

TedL

Reaction score
Porr Billy is barely cold, and you guys are already dissin' Mighty Putty. Oh, wait, you've been doing that for years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks