Shower valve assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

TerryT

Reaction score
Hi guys! You help is appreciated. I'm installing a new shower valve. I am wondering if I should use the union connections supplied or just solder the supply lines into the valve body itself. I'm concerned about heat to hot and cold valve assemblies. Do the come out easily, to avoid any heat damage? Or should I just sweat on a copper male adapter to the supply lines, screw on the bottom half of the union. Should I use tape here or solder these together? Then just tape and joint compound the other side of the union to the shower valve body, then connect the 2 halves? Also, can I just solder a adapter to the shower riser and just tape and compound that ,and thread that into the valve body? Here is a link to the piece. Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry,

I know this may not help you, but all I can say is if you haven't installed it yet and you can return it, do so.

I am in a situation with American Standard right now and after reading this forum, I can be sure of one thing. They are not of a quality that I would recommend. I am stuck with them now since the job is basically done and I regret it 100%.

To answer your question in short. Yes, pull the cartridges (guts) BEFORE you apply ANY heat.

Pete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks