shower drain & p trap code question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by nc8861, Jul 19, 2008.

1. nc8861

nc8861 New Member

Watching some TLC tonight on some home improvement show and this guy says that according to code, compression fittings on a shower p trap can't be used in an area where you can't get to - the example on the show was a second floor bathroom between floor joists. Is this true? Does everything have to be glue joints?

I'm in a 30 yr old house, 2nd floor bathroom - only access from 1st floor would be through the kitchen ceiling.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Compression fittings on tub drains have been around since long before glues pipe. I have heard that some local codes don't allow them, but in general I think you can still use them.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

joints

Usually the prohibition is about what kind of compression joints you use.
  4. nc8861

nc8861 New Member

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

The compression part is the inlet. The large nut is a ground joint. But regardless, I would NEVER use that trap in a concealed location. I have seen too many of them with snapped locknuts at the ground joint.
  6. nc8861

nc8861 New Member

That's enough evidence for me - I'll take it back. Thanks for your help.