Shower diverter valve super hard to turn

Users who are viewing this thread

rbico

Reaction score
The diverter valve in my shower is really hard to turn. I remodeled the bathroom last year and the main brass unit in then wall that has the hot cold and diverter looked to be in good shape and there are no leaks, but that darn diverter...

I have looked around forums, but can't find my answer. Is there a fairly painless way for a layman to lubricate that so it is easier to turn?

EDIT: Obviously this is the kind of diverter you turn all the way clockwise to feed the shower and all the way counter clockwise to feed the tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are ALL kinds of diverters which operate that way, so we would have to know WHICH one you have. Some use a brass cylinder and they will develop corrosion and freeze up.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had that same problem with an angle stop for a toilet. I took it apart and put a little Neosporin in the valve, and that fixed it.
Here is a product that is made for that purpose. I have it in my tool box now, it works better and it is cheaper than triple antibiotic ointment . You should be able to take the diverter apart and lube it up with something like this:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...3656514180361&hl=en&ei=hOpAVZ6fOoOesAWu8IH4Aw

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I had that same problem with an angle stop for a toilet. I took it apart and put a little Neosporin[

You mean you actually REPAIRED an angle stop valve. Boy, you either have more time than money or work cheap if you did it for someone else. But at least the we know the valve will not get infected.

rbico

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I just replaced the stem and it turns super easy now. However, when I turn it to shower, there is a slight drizzle from the tub spout. I can turn it pretty hard and get rid of it, but my wife does not have the strength.

I took it back apart a few times to see if I missed anything, but everything looks proper so I don't know what the deal is.

MikeSS

Reaction score
My mom's townhome has a jacuzzi tub with shower. The hot and cold are separate valves mounted on the flat shoulder of the tub, along with the tub faucet and diverter valve. The tub has gone a very long time without being used so the diverter, to turn it from shower to tub faucet, has frozen in position. I didn't want to force it so I turned the water lines off at the angle stops and started taking the diverter apart. After taking the handle off I saw that I could put a socket on what was underneath so I unscrewed whatever that thing is. Please see pictures to see what I'm talking about.

I couldn't figure out what I needed to do next in order to fix this frozen valve so I put that thing I had unscrewed back in and put the handle on and tried to work it back and forth gently to loosen it up. I wasn't gentle enough. The ribbed stub that sticks up upon which you fit the handle gave way, coming completely off. I wasn't sure which way it needed to turn in order to get to the tub faucet position so as I was turning it back and forth I obviously exerted too much torque in the wrong direction. I think it's pretty crappy (soft) metal as well, although it's over twenty years old so maybe these fittings corrode internally.

Would someone please identify just what it is I've got? None of the fittings have any obvious markings showing what brand they are - I'm hoping it is a standard or easily found valve. I imagine I'll have to buy a completely new diverter valve just to get the part that I've ruined by twisting it off. But perhaps if I know who makes the valve I could order just the part that I unscrewed?

Finding a replacement part won't solve the problem of the frozen valve but it will at least get me back to zero. From the pictures, it appears there is a hex-shaped fitting in the pipe that's sticking up. There's water in the pipe so that fitting is hard to see. Is that something I should put a socket on and twist?

I sure hope I don't have to do anything with the valve body itself as it is located in an impossible to access position.

Thanks for any help.
Unscrewed.jpg
Vertical.jpg

Attachments

• Unscrewed2.jpg
    Unscrewed2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Diverterbody.jpg
    Diverterbody.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 429
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks