should new caulk peel off easily??

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dl21, Jul 8, 2012.

1. dl21

dl21 New Member

Hi,

I asked my first question on on this forum july 5th about my new shower caulking job (see July 5th, "will caulk cure?").I thought maybe I would be OK, but the issue now is that I am able to easily just peel off the new caulk, (there is grout under it).

Should I be able to peel it off like that? I still have not used the shower, and am wondering if maybe the surface was not cleaned before the contractor used the latasil, I believe, caulk. I understand using alcohol is a good way to clean the surface after the old caulk is removed. I know the contractor removed the old caulk, but I did not see him use any alcohol or anything to clean after getting rid of old caulking.

Do I need to remove recently applied caulk, prep surface with alcohol and re caulk? Thanks so much!!
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Is the tile sealed? Was it sealed earlier?

Are you using Silicone or LAtex Chaulk?

JW
  3. dl21

dl21 New Member

Thanks for your response. It was not sealed. The previous caulk was latex.
  4. dl21

dl21 New Member

and the current caulk is silicone. (Latasil)
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

No it should not peel off. Getting a bad tube of caulk is a lot more common than you would think. If the caulk is exposed to >100º , or freezing, during transport or storage, it may very well fail. Does it feel like it cured, but is just no sticking?
  6. dl21

dl21 New Member

yes. it feels and looks cured, but I can easily, very easily pull it right off. (There was a peice that was sticking up and I pulled it just to see what would happen) Thanks. Sounds like I should recaulk?