Should flue be completely sealed up through the roof?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by STyler, Nov 1, 2009.

1. STyler

STyler New Member

I had my furnace replaced a few months ago and they moved it about 4 feet from its old location. I just noticed recently that the flue has an opening into the attic. It comes straight down to a "wye" with the angle heading to the furnace flue - but the straight down portion of the wye is just open to the attic space.

Should this be sealed off, or is it some kind of passive draft inducer for the combustion gases. Seems like there should be no opening from the furnace to the outside air.
  2. gluecan

gluecan New Member

have them come back and fix it then back charge them for your time for such a shitty job the frist time
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It should not be there. Any draft regulator should be installed in the flue pipe as close to the appliance as possible.
  4. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Bad bad bad ... if I understand what you're saying, it sounds like a piece of pipe is missing. Shouldn't run it until you get it fixed.

Jason