Should flue be completely sealed up through the roof?

Users who are viewing this thread

STyler

Reaction score
I had my furnace replaced a few months ago and they moved it about 4 feet from its old location. I just noticed recently that the flue has an opening into the attic. It comes straight down to a "wye" with the angle heading to the furnace flue - but the straight down portion of the wye is just open to the attic space.

Should this be sealed off, or is it some kind of passive draft inducer for the combustion gases. Seems like there should be no opening from the furnace to the outside air.

gluecan

Reaction score
have them come back and fix it then back charge them for your time for such a shitty job the frist time

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It should not be there. Any draft regulator should be installed in the flue pipe as close to the appliance as possible.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Bad bad bad ... if I understand what you're saying, it sounds like a piece of pipe is missing. Shouldn't run it until you get it fixed.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks