Sharkbite Stop Valve for Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing my old soldered-on toilet shut-off with a Sharkbite - available at HD.

Once I've cut out the old valve with my tubing cutter:

How much of a stub-out is needed for the Shark to slip over?

How should I prep the stub-out (remove any residual solder, etc.)? Emery cloth?

Do these things leak over time?

TIA

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why not use a compression stop? In my opinion they're far better than shark-bites.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipe must be totally clean, round, deburred so there are no rough edges, and long enough. The deburring tool can also be used as the depth gauge for you to ensure it is inserted all the way. On 1/2" copper, I measure very close to 1" using their deburring tool, give or take a very small amount.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Compression fittings have been around for some time and have proven their reliability shark bites haven't

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Properly installed, a Sharkbite can rotate (it might be stiff, but it will). A compression stop won't. A compression fitting will seal (assuming you can get the ring on) if the pipe isn't quite round, a sharkbite may not.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
Being a DIY, I don't use compression fittings very often but the last time I did, I had a terrible time trying to tighten them enough to not leak.

Kiko

Reaction score
I haven't started this yet, but the reason I wanted to go Sharkbite over compression is due to lack of room. There doesn't appear to be enough space to manipulate two wrenches (wrench and counter-wrench).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks