Shallow well pump installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Victoria-nola

Reaction score
Yeah I have tried a hundred ways to explain it. To be such a simple valve the CSV has a complicated explanation and a thousand ways to use it. Most pump guys don't even understand how it works. But once you see it work, the pump just continues to run and the pressure just stays constant no matter how much or how little water you are using, it will make a lot more sense. This is especially true if you have been watching your old pressure tank system continually cycle the pump on/off on/off while the pressure keeps going up and down up and down, which isn't good.

Hey, I'm back, didn't mean to bug out, just lots going on in life. Yes, once I understood more about what the problems are (by reading reviews of products, mostly), and what this product does, it was much easier to understand. I'm a technical writer, mostly I index books, but, I would say in trying to present your product, you need to back way way up from your technical expertise and look at it from the point of view of someone who doesn't know anything. Even for people in the trades, if they go to look at your product, they aren't going to be offput by a presentation that starts with the very very most basic questions. The most basic question here, it seems to me, is What problems does this product solve? So I would start off by presenting a bullet-list of the problems this product solves. Then I would give a short paragraph with an overview, in 5th-grade language, of how the product works. For starters. Then you move on to presenting technical data. Anyone with technical knowledge will keep reading and looking for the technical guts of your presentation. But in order to sell the product, which is revolutionary and very affordable, you need to start super-simple and move out into the technical. imo. BTW I hope you have patented????

Victoria-nola

Reaction score
Attached is a snip from http://redlionproducts.com/media/52...s-spec-sheet-14942401-thru-14942414-02-16.pdf that shows the GPM that pump can produce at various pressures, from water with its surface 20 ft down from the measuring point.

Since you plan to run that pump for long intervals, you should put a 4 inch PVC flow inducer sleeve on the pump. That runs water by the motor more effectively. It is cheap and easy.
The solvent weld D2729 sewer pipe is OD 4.215 ID 4.056; Schedule 40 is OD 4.500 ID 4.026;
You can use either. The thinner pipe would be easier to work with. If you search the forum for "flow inducer" you will find methods of making that. The place you buy the pipe can often help you cut the pipe to the length you want.

Thank you! I really appreciate the help, I really do. A couple of things have developed in my absence. One is, a solar-pump company made contact with me and clearly was already familiar with our situation and our need for help. They are currently looking into a system for us. Here in Mississippi we have a lot of sunshine and my partner worked for years in solar, but I had written off a solar pump because I was hoping to get away with dirt-cheap. Since we realized we have to bump up our game on this, we are going to look at solar (and intend to use Valveman's technology). The second development is that I'm already scheduled to attend a workshop for farmers that helps us fill out paperwork for financial aid in form of low-cost loans and grants. Request for help for a well, I have now realized, is an obvious and basic need. (We have not yet purchased seed for our watermelon 1/4 acre because without irrigation water there would be no point.)

So now, I'm looking at 2 possibilities. One is that we could get help for the well we have. Another is that we could get help to put in a deep well. The workshop is on March 2, so I'll know more at that point. I am SO grateful to ya'll for helping me here. It's really helped me to focus on next steps for development of our farm.

Our farm is just about perfectly situated, it was a real farm but hasn't been farmed for 15-20 years. The farmer never had a tractor, he used mules. We have 29 acres, with a central 13 acre meadow that slopes gently to the south, surrounded on 3 sides by 16 acres of mature, mixed hardwood/pine, which have cold spring-fed creeks running through all 3 sides as well. The house has never flooded, although occasionally the entire meadow (in many years past) flooded. We know all this because our neighbor across the street was born and raised right here and as a tiny tot used to help the farmer plant corn. The 4th side is a county road that is a shortcut to the junior college and highschool north of us, so we see more traffic than I was initially happy about, except that we now realize we can have a farm stand here, and farm stands are ALL THE RAGE! And I always had a fantasy of having one. So, onward...

Oh one other thing. For all its faults as a state (we are new to MS), Mississippi has a lot of great policies to encourage rural living and agriculture. One is that anyone, virtually anywhere in the state, can get piped-in water to the street address, then the owner has to pay to pipe it from the street to the house. I think that's unique in the 50 states. So we have city water here even though we're out in the country with sparse population density. Another is that they have a lot of financial support for farmers, with specific programs for minority, women, and first-time farmers. It is within that context that I'm going to the farmer financing support workshop, which is sponsored by a high-level, national sustainable agriculture organization.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hey, I'm back, didn't mean to bug out, just lots going on in life. Yes, once I understood more about what the problems are (by reading reviews of products, mostly), and what this product does, it was much easier to understand. I'm a technical writer, mostly I index books, but, I would say in trying to present your product, you need to back way way up from your technical expertise and look at it from the point of view of someone who doesn't know anything. Even for people in the trades, if they go to look at your product, they aren't going to be offput by a presentation that starts with the very very most basic questions. The most basic question here, it seems to me, is What problems does this product solve? So I would start off by presenting a bullet-list of the problems this product solves. Then I would give a short paragraph with an overview, in 5th-grade language, of how the product works. For starters. Then you move on to presenting technical data. Anyone with technical knowledge will keep reading and looking for the technical guts of your presentation. But in order to sell the product, which is revolutionary and very affordable, you need to start super-simple and move out into the technical. imo. BTW I hope you have patented????

I greatly appreciate the advice! I have tried to start way back, but end up going on and on with the explanation. Yes I have several patents. But that was 25 years ago and they have all expired. The companies who are now making copies of the CSV don't know how it works either. I think the complicated explanation, which makes it hard to sell, has kept many companies from making a copy. Even the companies who make a copy of the CSV tell their customers to call me when they have a question or problem. So now always have to ask which valve they have, so I am not helping my competition. I would appreciate it if you would take a look at this video animation. Please let me know if it starts back far enough.
Thanks
Cary

Victoria-nola

Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the advice! I have tried to start way back, but end up going on and on with the explanation. Yes I have several patents. But that was 25 years ago and they have all expired. The companies who are now making copies of the CSV don't know how it works either. I think the complicated explanation, which makes it hard to sell, has kept many companies from making a copy. Even the companies who make a copy of the CSV tell their customers to call me when they have a question or problem. So now always have to ask which valve they have, so I am not helping my competition. I would appreciate it if you would take a look at this video animation. Please let me know if it starts back far enough.
Thanks
Cary
Hey Cary. Just a couple of things here, and I would say if we were going to discuss this in any more depth we might want to do so away from the public board to ensure protection of your proprietary interest. First, the narration drops down on the word "old" when, near the beginning, you say something like "but first, you need to understand how the old pressure system works"-- the volume and enunciation is not strong there, so more emphasis on that this is the OLD system you are describing. I know that may sound minor, but it will make a difference in being able to follow without distractions and be clear about where we are in the narrative. More important is that you use at least 3 different terms for what the CSV does: produces/producing, makes/making, and restrict/restricting. I would prefer to see only 1 term used so that the listener can begin to understand. I would suggest using the term "regulates/regulating". "Producing" and "making" each both have so many possible meanings and uses, they add mystery rather than adding understanding, and of course "restricting" is only the right phrase part of the time. I mean, as a layperson, what it appears to me is that the CSV is regulating the pump. One more thing-- you also use varying terminology to describe the CSV "noticing" the use of water. I think "sensing" the use of water would be a better term to choose, and the same exact term should be used every time.
--Victoria

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Great! Thank you! That is kind of feedback I need. Copy/pasted to my desktop. I am much better at pump systems than marketing. And it wouldn't have hurt if I had paid more attention to my English teacher. :)

Got a few more video and article ideas in my head. But I work for weeks on a video like that. :( Maybe I can PM you so you can help me edit?
Cary

Victoria-nola

Reaction score
Great! Thank you! That is kind of feedback I need. Copy/pasted to my desktop. I am much better at pump systems than marketing. And it wouldn't have hurt if I had paid more attention to my English teacher. :)

Got a few more video and article ideas in my head. But I work for weeks on a video like that. :( Maybe I can PM you so you can help me edit?
Cary
Sure, pm me I'll be happy to help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks