shallow well losing prime

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by woodcarver, Nov 20, 2007.

1. woodcarver

woodcarver New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    I dug a sand point well about 20'. we dug with a post hole digger. the kind you twist. we had pipe sections that where added as we dug. I live on sand so the digging was quite easy. all the well pipe was put together with pipe dope and teflon tape then placed down the hole. we used a drive cap and ponded the sand point about 2'-3' which gave us about 6' of water in the pipe. I have a check valve placed horizontal before the pump with a union between the check valve and the pump. I have excellent water pressure. but unless I leave the spigot running a small stream of water to keep the pump cycling fairly often, I lose my prime. I have a 20 gal. pressure tank attached just off the pump. I don't mind so much having to let the pump cycle to keep prime but it's getting cold and the water running off the spigot is gonna freeze. so I could use some advice
    where my prime problem is coming from.

Thanks for any help.
  2. Mike Swearingen

Mike Swearingen New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Independent Real Estate Broker
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
    If you have a leak in the check valve or in any pipe joint after it, it will lose prime. I think that you're going to have to pull it all back out and re-tape/dope and re-tighten everything up.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement