Sewer vent stack, need help

Users who are viewing this thread

brillo

Reaction score
My daughter needs to have a vent stack put on her front lawn sewer line. There is a metal sleeve on the vertical pipe, which used to have a cover for a ground level vent. She bought the house a few years ago, and all that's been there is a flat stone covering the hole. The sleeve is below ground by couple inches. She was told to pound a 4 inch PVC pipe over the pipe in ground, and leave 4 inches of pipe showing. I've tried but the sleeve over the original vent pipe is exact diameter as the 4 inch PVC. Never did this before, figure the original vent pipe is 3 inches, so can I drive the remaining metal sleeve down with the 4 inch PVC, which must be the same size? But will the PVC handle the pounding? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not commenting on the need for this, but here is how I think you would best implement it.

Make the hole big enough to work and clean up the buried pipe end. Use a shielded coupler Fernco 3005-44 or Mission P-400 to attach a piece of schedule 40 PVC.

Dish detergent can help lubricate the pipe to make sliding on easier.

brillo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Reach4, I thought about Fernco. I looked at the 4inx4in PVC DWV mechanical coupling by Fernco, mainly for the added coverage, to aid in keeping it up. Do you think the extra length matters? At best, there's two inches between top of the metal sleeve and the ground. So the PVC pipe only has remainder of coupling holding it up. Even if its only four inches, plus a mushroom cap. BTW the coupling is just a little over 5 inches high.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Reach4, I thought about Fernco. I looked at the 4inx4in PVC DWV mechanical coupling by Fernco, mainly for the added coverage, to aid in keeping it up. Do you think the extra length matters? At best, there's two inches between top of the metal sleeve and the ground. So the PVC pipe only has remainder of coupling holding it up. Even if its only four inches, plus a mushroom cap. BTW the coupling is just a little over 5 inches high.
I don't know which would be better. If you ride into it with the riding mower, do you want the pipe to be able to bring the mower to a halt? :)

Holding up a cap shouldn't take much. I am not a plumber or other relevant pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks