sewage pump problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie P

Reaction score
I sheetrocked a room that has the sewage pump alarm in it, so during the process The wires at the alarm (The ones that go to the circuit breaker, the pump and the alarm) got all mixed up.
At first the breaker in the panel kept triping,then the electrician switched the wires around and the pump worked again but he disconnected the wires that went from the alarm float to the alarm box. The alarm box still would light up and sound a buzzer if you used the test switch (because it plugs into a 110 outlet) but if you lifted the float the alarm wouldn't go off.
But the pump was working so I was happy with that.
Well, now the pump is not working again. And if I can get the help here I wont be calling that electrician again.
I guess I need help for 2 thing (as of now)
#1, Can anyone draw me a diagram for what wires go where on the float alarm box?

#2...why would the pump stop working again when it was working fine?
Any help would be great because as of now paying someone to fix it is not an option.
thanks

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
Inside the alarm box there should be a wiring diagram on the back wall. There should be 4 screws to take out of the front panel of the alarm control and the front cover will come right off, be careful not to pull too hard on the cover due to the fact there will be a couple of wires connected to it! Once the screws are removed you will see how easy the panel opens up.

The float switch should have just two wires ( black and white ) and on the terminal board you will see where they should connect.

As for as the pump not working, it could be several different reasons why it isn't! You will have to investigate this one! It could be the float is hung up on something, float switch went bad, no power to the pump, impeller jammed, who knows with out opening up the pit to investigate!:confused:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like When it was hooked up wrong and tripping the breaker, however it was wired may have fried something. If the pump had any age on it it may just be coincidence and the float switch went bad and just needs to be replaced.

What brand is the pump and float alarm.

Charlie P

Reaction score
I opened the pit ,drained it,and the float works.
I dident have any electric tools with me so I couldent check to see if it had power.
I will open the box and look for the diagram.
the house was built in 89 and I dident check to see what kind of pump it was,but I will.
Can the float switch be replaced by itself and how would I test it.
thanks for your help and Happy thanksgiving

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
The float switch will be easy to replace! When you test the float switch and the switch is in the down position it will read open. When it is in the up position, it will read closed.

If your system is the original one from 1989, it not be such a bad idea to replace the alarm and the pump and have it wired up correctly!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks