Sewage ejector pump running too frequently?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ERS347, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ERS347

ERS347 New Member

I installed a Zoeller pump, about six months ago, in my sewage ejector pit which services two levels of my tri-level home. The pump worked fine until two days ago and now seems to be cycling about every ten minutes. Even when no water should be running into the pit (faucets off etc...), I hear a trickling of water in the pit and it cycles more often than normal. We have had a lot of spring rains lately. Could the ground water be getting into the pit and causing the pump to be running more often? I was under the impression that the pit was sealed and wouldn't let in water.
  2. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

The other is the check valve could be leaking by letting the sewage flow back into the tank.
    Quick test is to shut off the water to the home, if the pump still cycles then the problem is not on the plumbing side, most likely a running toilet.