Several questions Re: new filtration system

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I had traces of pesticides in my well and replaced an old one tank GAC filter, that backwashed, with a new two tank GAC system that has both a pre/post sediment filter as well. I was talked into it and it seemd like a good idea at the time.

My problem is that now I have half the water pressure that I had before.
The shower will become a trickle is someone flushes or turns on another faucet in the house.

I have a lot of minerals in my well and the pre-filter,while not looking totally clogged,is pretty gnarly looking after four days. That might be an issue but I have no idea. The installer is going to come take a look. I can't imagine replacing the filter ever five days!!

My question is:
IF THE INSTALLER SUGGESTS THAT I PUT IN A BOOSTER PUMP, will that affect my well pump? It is 200+' deep and 3/4 horse power,if I recall. Will the booster pump (if that is the remedy) shorten the life of the well pump that,currently,lasts about six years only due,I think,to the high iron content of the water.

Are some booster pumps better than others? Any suggestions on brand/quality?

WELL--Installer just came and he feels that the pre-filter,which was heavily clogged after just three days,is the cause. ANOTHER question I now have would be...is there a pre-filter that backwashes and self-cleans? I can't replace filters every three-four days. OR...should I consider getting a new system that backwashes?
He will get back to me but I am bummed out!

Thanks in advance.
Alan

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suggest you post to the softener forum if you want to discuss filtration. The guys there are experts in all aspects of water treatment and filtration.

I don't advise using any sort of booster pump.

That said, this is the right forum to discuss why your well is producing so much sediment or whatever that it is clogging your filter elements. However, you need to tell us more about the well, the pump, the water usage, what is clogging the filter, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks