Septic drain line above ground after dirt settled.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by thomas_callahan, Oct 24, 2004.

1. thomas_callahan

thomas_callahan New Member

When my septic system was replaced just prior to buying my house, about a year and a half ago, they used the same drain pipe hole in the foundation that used to go to the old system, replacing all of the old cast iron drains in the house with PVC.

After a year and a half, the dirt has settled a few inches around where the pipe leaves the house so now the top of the pipe is exposed outside. Obviously I'll have to cover that just to keep the PVC from being damaged but I'm wondering what about freezing? The frost line around here (southern Rhode Island) is 40" I believe -- there's no way I can put 40" of dirt on top of that, the dirt would be up to my windowsills. But the old drain was in the same location and aparently it wasn't a problem then -- do drain lines not freeze as easily as supply lines or something? Can I just put 6 inches of dirt over it or is more drastic action required?

I attached a picture that shows the house foundation on the right and the pipe running under the grass through the middle right to left (the green thing is a temporary downspout extender).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Drain lines do not freeze unless they are stopped up and full of water, or there is a constand slow flow of water, such as from a leaking faucet, that permits the ice to build up gradually.
  3. thomas_callahan

thomas_callahan New Member

Just what I wanted to hear -- thanks! I do have a slow leak from my bathroom faucet but I should be replacing that soon.
  4. Hube

Hube New Member

And remember, "running water never freezes" :) (then it would'nt be running)
  5. hj

hj

No true or rivers would never freeze over. It will freeze anytime it gets below the freezing point and there is not something "warmer" nearby to keep it from freezing.
  6. uncoolcentral

uncoolcentral New Member

joke

hube makes joke - hcj misses it - funny
  7. Hube

Hube New Member

Hey, HJ. think about it :) running water never freezes . if its still running it has not frozen yet.
    Have you ever see "frozen running water"? If so (but I hardly think not) what shape was it" :) :)
  8. hj

?

Is a running back, still a running back after he is tackled? Have you ever had to tackle a running toilet, (they can be elusive)? You have to get into calculus to determine the exact point where "running" water stops and becomes "frozen" water, but a river can freeze over and then the water is still running but the layer that is contact with the "unrunning" frozen water will defect and join the frozen stuff, (probably because of fatigue and laziness).
  9. Hube

Hube New Member

Your a plumber, ok?
    does that mean you pick plums off of trees?... :) And in the case of the "running back"...how come he always tries to run Forward if he's a running back? :)