Schedule 40 Under Driveway???

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff112

Reaction score
I will deeply appreciate any help. I have just finished excavating a lot to build a house. Within the month a 1000 gallon septic system installed with 320' of fill lines. It's approved for 3 bedrooms although the house is only 2 BR, 1.5 Bath. Here is my question. The HOA allows RVs to be lived in while the house is being constructed however I would like to build a "tiny house" that could be utilized later for company. To run a sewer drain from the tiny home to the septic tank, approx. 8-10 ft will be under the driveway. Can I use 3" schedule 40 and be confident if installed correctly it will handle being driven over or should I encase the drain pipe in either iron or steal pipe? Thanks in advance. Jeff

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
In many of our local jurisdictions around here, anything beyond the building must be 4" and have a cleanout every 135 degrees of turn.
Depth and proper trench support and backfill are part of the things to factor.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't want to certify your application (I suspect you will be plenty fine), but I wanted to point out that PVC pipe comes in foamcore, which is rated for DWV. It also comes in double-rated solid PVC, which is stronger, and rated for pressure in addition to DWV.

There is also PVC pipe that is thinner, and by using schedule 40, you are already ahead of average.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks