Sched 80 for underground line?

Users who are viewing this thread

grover

Reaction score
I thought I might use sched 80 1 inch pvc for my underground line from the cistern to the pressure tank. I just wanted the extra sturdiness over the sched 40. Is that too much or will that smaller interior diameter hurt my water pressure? Sorry for so many questions lately.

grover

Reaction score
Are you talking about the black poly pipe that comes in a roll? Are the ends clamped with a stainless steel worm clamp like the old radiator hose clamps?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Are you talking about the black poly pipe that comes in a roll? Are the ends clamped with a stainless steel worm clamp like the old radiator hose clamps?

Yes that is the kind of pipe Craigpump is talking about and it works good for underground burial. On your original question friction loss depends on the flow rate and distance. Sch 40 PVC has 2.4 PSI loss per 100' at 10 GPM flow, where sch 80 has 3.76 PSI loss.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Be sure you are using 160 or 200 psi if you want to far exceed the qualities of sch 80 pvc. You will need REAL hose clamps, US made with a torque rating, all SS and preferably a heat gun or hot water to make getting your [hopefully] brass insert fittings into the pipe. Amazonia has some great deals on US top notch hose clamps from Illinois. Less than 1$ each and not garbage as you will get at the local hardware store or big box.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can eliminate the hose clamps and insert fittings. I use SDR11 HDPE pipe. I use a McElroy fusion machine and butt fuse the pipe together. You can fuze tee's, 90's, male adapters, etc. fittings can either be butt fused or socket fittings that are fused. There also have compression type fittings to use. HDPE can be bought in up to 3500 ft long rolls. I use HDPE water line and electrical conduit with my Vermeer HDD drill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks