Sayco shower diverter - removal

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by eterry, Nov 10, 2008.

1. eterry

eterry New Member

Can't remove the Sayco diverter stem from my shower. It just keeps spinning. Any suggestions other than tear out the tile and put in a whole new faucet system?
    Thanks
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Is the stem loose (unthreaded) but just not coming out of the valve body?
  3. eterry

eterry New Member

Yes, the stem is loose - will spin and spin; but won't come out. Have tapped, pulled and tugged, but can't get it out.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

There is a plastic washer that is probably hanging up coming out of the valve body. Turn the stem so that it is in the full open position. This will line up the plastic washer better. It still may require some wiggling and pulling to get it out but should be easier.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stem

WE don't know if you are removing it properly. DId you unscrew the entire component, or just the packing nut and are trying to remove the stem through that opening?
  6. eterry

eterry New Member

I've tried to unscrew every component that I can. It appears to be down to just the last long stem piece and the part that is connected back inside the main pipes. {After a while, I put the one larger section back on it and tighten it a little so I can operate the shower.}
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

A picture of what you are doing would be helpful. If you have unscrewed the proper part, it should pull out, even if it requires more than normal force. If you have not accessed the correct part, you may have damaged the diverter and will need a new one. Sayco made several valves and they all look the same, but they are different so you need to use the old one as a pattern.
  8. eterry

eterry New Member

I had purchased the a new one at Home Depot. I was changing the diverters in the hot and cold water faucets. I was using the 9B 3H (3C) and the diverter for the shower was 9B 5D.
  9. WadeTenbrink

WadeTenbrink New Member

Did you ever find out why the diverter would not come out??? I am having the exact same problem with my sayco diverter. I easily removed the hot and cold stems but the diverter would not come out after it was completely loosened in the same same manner as the stems.