Sayco 3 handle Tub/shower diverter issue

Users who are viewing this thread

MTy

Reaction score
I am redoing my master bath but before I get that project started I need to fix my other shower. I believe the 3 handle SAYCO trim is original to when the house was built in 1978. It has started leaking hot water into the tub faucet when the shower is on.

I am trying to decide whether to just replace the valve stems or the whole valve since I'll have full access because of the master reno. The questions.

1. Is there any real reason to replace the entire diverter? Assuming I can find the stems it seems the diverter stems and seats are the main/only true failure point? So I wouldn't gain much comparative to the cost of a full replacement?

2. If I do replace all of it, does anyone know if Pfister sells just the valve trim from model LG01-8CPC? I don't need the shower head or tub spout. Or would the danco rebuild kits with those handle fit the new pfister valve 01-31XA?

3. Lastly, I am almost certain I need to shut off the main water to replace the hot and cold stems but do I need to to replace the diverter stem? Ideally I can keep the main water on while them stem is out so I can try and locate a replacement if I go that route.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have access to the back wall, now would be a good time to replace it with a single handle, balanced faucet. They make trims that cover the three holes. The main worry is the room between the spout and the mixing valve, though most of the time it's enough.

Or you can rebuild what you have there. Do you have pictures of the valve and the handles?

MTy

Reaction score
Thank you. Attached is a picture of the handle and part of the stem. I don't know if its enough. I can pull the diverter stem but if I do can I turn the main water back on with it out?

syco-3-handle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You know what you have, get your parts first , turn water off , install new parts turn water back on. Its a little stressful water off for duration. technically if you trust that water from cold and hot shuts tight you can safely remove diverter indefinitely id be pretty nervous though .

MTy

Reaction score
I know what I have but don't know exactly what parts I need. When I google sayco faucet stems I get a couple of different appearing options for faucets from 1968 on. I want to be sure I get the right parts before I disassemble things because I am not trusting enough of the hot and cold to not shut the water off. Maybe the easiest thing would be to buy one of these danco rebuild kits? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-3-Ha...2s46btBfRzyYZy9FtrhoC30UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Although I don't need the handles.

Only thing is none of them have the square "mounts" for the handles? Do those come off the stems? ... on second thought could just use the handles from the rebuild kit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good chance you can just do washers and seats. perhaps rebuild diverter as well. I looked at new seats , stems , diverter and chrome trim for 38 bucks supply house .com made by brass craft . I like a little bit of shine when I'm done , generally Id be charging 150 or so labor . So why mess with old crap to save a few bucks, of course if customer plans to gut out in a year than yea lets just get it working. I'm only guessing that these parts match your valve Id take the chance or a little more research

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks