S.E.T.S. woes

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Buffy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Hello all,

New to the forums. I browsed some, but didn't find anything specific to my needs, so I decided to post a thread. I have a S.E.T.S. tankless water heater, which I know from reading some that is part of my problem - they went out of business and are now handled by Hubble.

During the summer, my hot water downstairs in my bathroom shower is fine. During the winter (I presume because the ground water is colder coming into the house), the downstairs shower is only hot for about 3-5 minutes and then I only get lukewarm water at best. It takes some time for it to reset before I can get hot water again.

I've tried adjusting the temperature on the side, and I've had an electrician change a heating element that we *thought* might not be working.

Is this a familiar problem? Is there a solution I'm unware of?

I'm a COMPLETELY ignorant person on this topic - no advice could be considered too simple.

Any advice would be great, I'm tired of timing my morning showers.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Do you have a well? The reason that I ask is that your water feeding the heater might have warmed up some in the pressure tank, but when the pump starts, the feed water would be cooler.

Can you reduce the flow for the shower? A low-flow showerhead might work better for you.
  3. Dana

Dana In the trades

Have you gone through the SETS troubleshooting guide yet? How about the Fluctuating Temperature debug? Do you have a print copy of the manual?

As I understand it even while claiming no responsibility to SETS owners, Hubbell is offering trade-in credit for those who are fed up with their SETS water heaters, which may be the right way to go. Not sure how much of a credit that is, but paying electrician's rates to replace one part at a time for a known flaky design probably isn't the best expenditure of funds.