Rust in well water, filter needed, thinking D.E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolul007

Reaction score
First, let start off by giving kudos to the help I received getting the old well started and going. I greatly appreciate all of the advice and best of all I was not steered in any wrong direction. Now for the present dilemma, When the well is not in use for a few days, rust appears, my guess is it is from the casing and or from the pipe attached to the submersible pump. The well is approximately 25-30 feet deep. I connected a "keystone" filter with a 20 micron insert, this did nothing to filter the rust. I did some research and saw several references to a D.E. filter, like ones used on swimming pools that "should" filter the rust. I had a Hayward D.E. filter on a pool so I am familiar with their use. Has anyone used this solution or have opinions?

capecod

Reaction score
We put in a small aquapure filter, whole house, and our water now is crystal clear.
http://www.aquapurefilters.com/store/product/200028.200020/ap110.html
Its too dark for me to take a picture with my iPhone, but here is the site that is the correct company.

You need to change the cartridges several times a year, sort of based on how much crud is in your well water.
Somebody here will give you better info and more details.
Jane

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The do make backwashing filters specifically for iron removal. They are similar to and use some of the same technology as a water softener to backwash.

Coolul007

Reaction score
Thank you for those suggestions, I'm trying to do this on the cheap, naturally, but I will look into these suggestions.

JVance

Homeowner
Reaction score
The do make backwashing filters specifically for iron removal. They are similar to and use some of the same technology as a water softener to backwash.

Instead of starting a new thread, I have a similar problem as the O.P. We are currently using a pair of WHF's in parallel, and they have been effective to reduce the iron, but we loose pressure in a couple of months as the filters clog up and the filter housings turn orange with iron.

LL, I've read some of your posts on the BIRM filters. Would the solution be as simple as replacing my current WHF's with the BIRM iron filter, or is a separate sediment filter still required? (if I understand correctly, I also need water that is slightly alkaline, otherwise I need additional water treatment before the BIRM...correct?)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A BIRM filter does a good job of filtering out precipitated iron (ferric, rust) but it won't filter dissolved (ferrous) iron without aeration or chemical contact. I don't know what the impact low pH would have on filtering iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks