Running shower glass up to ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Niccolo

Reaction score
I have to rebuild a defectively tiled shower in a home I recently purchased and am mulling shower design issues.

The prior shower had a frameless, floating glass construction, with a door hinged off a piece of glass that was anchored only at the base and wall but not on top. But there was a tiled bench which meant that one of the two door hinges was anchored into the bench, rather than glass, adding stability.

I want to remove the bench for a cleaner aesthetic (instead using a teak bench). My general contractor is skeptical of hinging a door off even a thick piece of glass that is not supported from above, and I am sympathetic with his conservative design impulses. So the options are:

1) Run the non-door glass pieces from the curb on the ground all the way up to the ceiling, anchoring them there. Door would be lower to allow a significant space for steam to vent, i.e. *not* fully enclosed steam shower construction. Pros: Stability and I think it could look good. Cons: Cost of extra glass, reduced steam venting (fan is located in ceiling just *outside* the door area), and one could argue it would look better not to run the glass to the ceiling.

2) Metal frame member on top of both the non-door and door glass. Pros: Stable and cheaper. Cons: Looks less nice.

3) Floating construction without supporting the non-door glass pieces from above. Pros: Looks good and cheaper. Cons: Less stable over time, given lever effect of heavy glass door when open.

Feedback welcome!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks