running quick disconnect to central AC

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by hids2000, Jul 19, 2007.

1. hids2000

hids2000 New Member

I am installing an out door AC unit and need to run 220v 15 AMP power to it.
    My question is can i just use UF 12-3 wires directly from main panel through the wall into the quick disconnect than UF 12-3 into the AC. The run is about 6ft in length.

Do I need to put the UF wire inside a conduit both before and after the disconnect?

If I need to put the UF 12-3 inside of a conduit will a 1/2" metal conduit be big enough?

thanks
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

For 15 amps #14 will be large enough.

Yes the conductors will need protection from the disconnect to the AC unit but flex would be better than metal
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A condenser unit only needs 12/2 (no neutral) with ground. Don't have any ideas about code, but all of those I've seen are wired with a waterproof conduit from the shutoff to the unit.
  4. hids2000

hids2000 New Member

see the problem is i walked around and looked at other houses.
    Some of them are doing what I plan to which is using UF to the disconnect and UF to the AC.

But some of them are using conduit from the house to the disconnect than UF after the disconnect to the AC.

I guess i will have to call the building department up and ask them.
  5. hids2000

hids2000 New Member

what is "FLEX"? is that the same as BX or MC wires?
  6. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Liquidtight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit (LFNC). A raceway of circular cross section of various types as follows:
    (1) A smooth seamless inner core and cover bonded together and having one or more reinforcement layers between the core and covers, designated as Type LFNC-A
    (2) A smooth inner surface with integral reinforcement within the conduit wall, designated as Type LFNC-B
    (3) A corrugated internal and external surface without integral reinforcement within the conduit wall, designated as LFNC-C
    LFNC is flame resistant and with fittings and is approved for the installation of electrical conductors.

[​IMG]
  7. hids2000

hids2000 New Member

Thanks! I hope home depot or lowes got them for sale. the min order qty online is little too much
  8. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

Both of them sell a flex kit, which includes the wire, flex, and both connectors.
    It contains 3#10 thhn/thwn wires.