Running drain line for fleck 5600sxt system

Users who are viewing this thread

Pushc5

Reaction score
So I had created a previous post describing how I'm going to run CPVC for the drain line and run it overhead. So I went to finalize my plans and had a bit of a hiccup.

The softener obviously has a turbine on it to meter the water, giving me a little more room. The carbon filter does not have a turbine so it's much closer to the drain fixture. I had originally planned to put a 1/2 male to female slip, then a 90 degree street to 3/4" adapter, then run a bit of pipe to a convenient spot, have a 3/4" slip to male thread and connect it via a 3/4" slip to tightening coupler (not sure if that's what it's called). However now given the lack of space on the carbon filter I have to ammend my plans.

I was looking at doing a 90 degree barb off both units, then run a little bit of 1/2" poly to the 3/4 pvc and make the connection that way to save space and reduce the number of fittings. When I was looking at barbs there's all sorts of different terminology and I want to make sure I get the right one. For the fleck side I think I need a 1/2" male to 1/2" FIPT?

if that's the case I couldn't find any here:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=barb?searchText=barb

I can keep the straight barb coming out of the tanks, then run it to one of these:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-...-Insert-Reducing-Female-Adapter-FIPT-x-Insert

that will be screwed on to one of these:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-4136-007-3-4-CTS-CPVC-Male-Adapter-MIPT-x-Socket

Will that work? I would have never thought there are so many different types of sizing lol

Sorry for the long post!

Reach4

Reaction score
if that's the case I couldn't find any here:
1413-005-3.jpg

1/2" 90° PVC Insert Elbow (Insert x MIPT)

460-005-4.jpg
1/2" PVC Schedule 40 Insert x IPS Spigot Adapter
You could glue in two of these and do the tee in the PVC.

1413-101-3.jpg
3/4" x 1/2" 90° PVC Insert Reducing Elbow (Insert x MIPT) screwed into the softener would let you do the run to the PVC in 3/4 ID tubing if you choose.

Last edited:

Pushc5

Reaction score
1413-005-3.jpg

1/2" 90° PVC Insert Elbow (Insert x MIPT)

460-005-4.jpg
1/2" PVC Schedule 40 Insert x IPS Spigot Adapter
You could glue in two of these and do the tee in the PVC.

1413-101-3.jpg
3/4" x 1/2" 90° PVC Insert Reducing Elbow (Insert x MIPT) screwed into the softener would let you do the run to the PVC in 3/4 ID tubing if you choose.

I'm running CPVC for the drain. I know that I could use PVC for it, but I got a discount for ordering CPVC so I just went with all that. I have a CPVC tee that will be mounted behind the softeners and will have the other barb fittings mounted to that so it'll be about 1-2 feet of poly tubing from the sotener to that tee. It will be 3/4" cpvc all the way from there to the drain.

What's the difference between MIPT and FIPT for the barb fitting? The 1/2" 90 to 1/2" MIPT barb looks like that barb is bigger in OD than the current 1/2" fitting and barb.

Reach4

Reaction score
The 1/2" 90 to 1/2" MIPT barb looks like that barb is bigger in OD than the current 1/2" fitting and barb.
Not to me.
1413-005-3.jpg
That third picture I posted was 1/2 MIPT by 3/4 barbed (insert).

What's the difference between MIPT and FIPT for the barb fitting?
That is for the threaded end -- not the barb. You need the MIPT (male) to screw into the valve.

Pushc5

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
A lot of my confusion is what threading works with what threading. And I understand that there are sizing differences between PVC and CPVC parts.
The threads would be the same

When you have a female thread in a plastic part, avoid over-tightening. Use ptfe tape and/or plastic-safe pipe compound (dope).

cvslf050-3.jpg
An adapter with a metal FIP thread might be better for screwing an insert adapter into. I don't know if these glue onto a pipe or if they glue into a fitting.

There seems to be more choice in pvc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks