Rough in opening about 9 inches>

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by bullsnbears, Sep 27, 2006.

1. bullsnbears

bullsnbears New Member

What the heck can I do. Any options appreciated. Dont want the toilet recessed, any toilets made 8 inch rough in. How much play is there in a 10 inch rough in toilet
    thanks
    stan
    any help appreciated!!!
  2. robert520

robert520 Real Estate Inspector

Rough in

Most common rough-in is 12 inches. Toilets can be purchased in 10, 12, and 14. I am not a plumbing supplier but if I remember each size is designed to allow at least .5 to 1.5 inches of space behind the tank to the finished wall. There is no such thing as an 8" rough-in. Hopefully you have a pier and beam foundation so you easily reconfigure the rough in.

You need profession help.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

12" toilets have about 3/4" play behind them. 10" toilets usually have no more than 1/4".
  4. Spokaneman

Spokaneman New Member

Would it be possible to shorten a 10" Toto unifit adapter using a solvent weld slip coupler? That is a good one for Terry.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Are you certain you have measured correctly? The measurement for the toilet rough-in is made for the finished wall to the center of the drain. If it truly is 8", then it seems to me you should consider having the drain replumbed to a standard 12". I do not think there is anyway to adapt a toilet to 8" and have it appear anywhere near "normal". If this was done by when the house was built, I would be very concerned about other abnormal and improper things might have been done with vents, traps, pipe size, and etc.. Best to fix it right now than try to live with a jackknife plumbing job for years.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I don't think you could cut out an inch from a unifit adapter. Even if you could physically, I think you'd disrupt the engineering of the flow and compromise the flushing capability. Getting it to be leak-free after you did it would be a problem as well.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Well, you need another 4" and standard walls are about 4 1/2" thick. What's behind the toilet?