Rising pressure help

Users who are viewing this thread

DanD79

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to the site. I’ve been reading through the forums and I’m thinking maybe I need an expansion tank but I’ll let you guys tell me. So I just bought a new house and the water pressure from the street was 130 psi. The was no pressure regulator. So I installed a pressure regulator and a whole house filter with a 200 psi gauge before the regulator, and 100 psi gauges after the regulator and after the filter. My wife went to take a shower and said it needed more pressure so I adjusted it up to 70 from 50 and she said it was good then. Everything seemed to be working well. After her shower I kept watching the gauges after the regulator and they both went well beyond the max 100. I turned the water on at a faucet and checked and they were all at 70 but then rose again. I did this a few times and then they all stayed at 70. So do I need an expansion tank? It makes me a little nervous the pressure rising so high. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes you do need an expansion tank and must be sized according to the size of your water heater.

DanD79

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Can one be installed anywhere between my filter and my water heater or does it have to be installed right beside the water heater?

A12548

Reaction score
I just got told my warranty to replace a leaking tank will be denied because my pressure is 73 on an outside hose faucet , and I have an expansion tank to boot...and this is a major appliance store who sold and installed this

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Can one be installed anywhere between my filter and my water heater or does it have to be installed right beside the water heater?
Best is at the water on the cold inlet side of the water heater, but can be installed any where on the cold water line between the pressure reducing valve and the water heater.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Just for information 60 psi is what is recommended pressure for most of today`s , faucets , fixtures and appliances.

A12548

Reaction score
So steet pressure of 73, with an expansion tank on heater should void a warranty?

Reach4

Reaction score
So steet pressure of 73, with an expansion tank on heater should void a warranty?
Of course not. You were confusing Dan's thread with your largely unrelated post, and confused yourself in the process.

To create a thread, click on the name of the forum. Then click "Post New Thread" (blue button) on the right above the existing threads and below the search box.

Last edited:

DanD79

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot guys. I’ll install an expansion tank. Do these just take a regular bicycle pump and tire gauge? Never dealt with one.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot guys. I’ll install an expansion tank. Do these just take a regular bicycle pump and tire gauge? Never dealt with one.
Yes. If you can preset the pressure at the tire store, you would save some pumping effort.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are being "conned" contact a REAL plumber, if the tank is under warranty. The tank is tested to 150 psi working pressure, and the manufacturer would NEVER find out what YOUR PRESSURE was, and would not care anyway. When a heater goes bad, the ONLY question asked is "How old is it", period.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks