Risers on septic tank - filter inspection lid

Users who are viewing this thread

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
My septic tank was 2 feet under so I installed some risers on the 24 inch lids. Everything went well until I found out when they came and pumped it there is a third lid.. an inspection lid for the filter. It's a small lid, I want to say 6 or 8 inches.

Talking to the guys that pumped my tank, they said the best thing would be to rig up a riser using some 8" PVC piping. Sounds good... but where can I get this stuff, and what kind of lid should I put on the top? Unlike my main risers that came with separate lids and I permanently removed the cement ones... I am going to leave the cement lid on the filter inspection port. There fore, I just need a lid/cap device that will keep dirt out.

Someone please point me in the right direction! Thanks

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a basic septic tank with a filter. The filter should be in the last compartment. Each compartment is required to have a lid. If the tank has a baffle wall inside there may be a small lid over the top of the baffle to make sure there is a vent between the compartments. The link below is the Michigan criteria for on-site wastewater.

Starting about page 40
11.5.3 Effluent Filters
11.6 Access Risers and Lids
http://michigan.gov/documents/deq/MIC_Chpt_01-14_final_edited_draft_01-29-13_411944_7.pdf

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
If I use 10" PVC for this, how do I secure the top? What kind of "cap" would I put in, something threaded?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks