Riobel pressure balance Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

tuchodi

Retired Handyman
Reaction score
I need to replace my old shower valve and I already have a very good new Riobel pressure balance valve that is for a tub and shower. Can I just plug off the bottom outlet which would go to the tub faucet and use the top outlet for the shower?

riobel-pressure-balance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Riobel - Thermostatic Control Valve

Do you have a coupe of flow valves as well?

Does the thermostatic also control the flow? You better check the specs - all these things work a little different.

Last edited:

tuchodi

Retired Handyman
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by the thermostatic but it does have a ball valve adjustment on both the cold and hot line in.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plug the tub outlet (1/2" plug and it becomes a shower only valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tub outlet is often bigger. If you have one shower head, the shower outlet is fine. If you are planning more than one, it may benefit from using the tub outlet to feed the shower heads. As long as you provide more flow than the head can use, it won't make any difference...it's when the flow is restricted too much does the performance of the showerhead drop off, so for one, the top outlet if more than enough and easier to plumb.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "ball valves" are NOT control valves they are servicing stops. The handle on your valve has to turn the water flow on and off or you will have to install flow control valve. But if the bottom is marked "TUB" then it would almost have to control the flow by definition, in which case either plug it or connect it to the shower riser.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Riobel Waterproofing Needs

Looks like a lot of the Riobel Stock only has one outport valve. Integral flow value part of the design.

These are nice fixtures - my only beef with the line is the tub fillers and the washer kit for them. Often we get dripping when installing them. I have learned that the rough in needs to be so perfect. As low as you can go. Too high and it fits but holds the washer off a C Hair. Then the tub filler drips after use or when the hand held is used. Keep it tight to the tub deck and your golden....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Riobel Waterproofing Needs - Thermostatic Control Valve

Riobel Thermostatic Control Value.

Made this custom flashing for A Riobel Thermostatic Control Valve out of some scrap Mapeband and then I Hydro Banned the walls.

Pressure fit. I then siliconed the bitch! LOL Tight and tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks