Reverse osmosis systems

Users who are viewing this thread

lisao1958

Reaction score
I was told by a water company that I needed a stage 5 Reverse osmosis systen to remove the sodium in my drinking water and would cost $1,000. Does this price seem right? Which systems are the best? I'm totally confused!

Last edited:

JKERN

Reaction score
How high is the sodium in your water first and secondly no that is not a good price I sell 5 stage ro's in my store and my competetors in my area do also and they run around 300.00 unless they have some sort of 5 stage that i've never heard of i don't think your getting a good deal.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I switched from softener salt to potassium to reduce sodium in our water mostly becuase the house plants didn't like it but also for health concerns. It did not however negate the need for an RO filter.

$1000 sounds steep for an RO filter, even one with a booster pump. When I was pricing them out, some that offered the pump as an option really wanted a lot for the pump. I found one with a pump priced comparable to others with no pump.

lisao1958

Reaction score
They told me it was a Flowmatic. My sodium level is 176.6 mg/l and tastes terrible. I currently have a water system that uses lime? i have an artesian well. I don't really know anything about this stuff!
Not sure why the sodium gets so high, salt run-off?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
How close to the Ocean is your well?

I know here that there are a hand full of wells that get some of the water from the ocean and that really drives up the salt level.

lisao1958

Reaction score
My sodium is 177 mg/l, I guess from salt run-off? I have an artesian well and a nuetralizer system which uses lime. My water tastes terrible, I don't know anything about this stuff, and looking for advice . What are some good RO systems for drinking water? Still would need to be installed in basement, I have a really old farm sink, mounting a faucet is another problem

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a river near by that has ocean water come up the river at high tide?

Highway road crew station near by that stores sand and salt for the roads?

If you can taste the salt in untreated water then it is getting there some how...

lisao1958

Reaction score
salty water

I can't figure out why my water is so salty, but it is. What are some good RO systems? I do realize I will need to change cartridges on a regular basis

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I do realize I will need to change cartridges on a regular basis
Yes, RO systems require periodic filter changes but not because of salt. On a 5 stage RO there are 3 sediment filters, a charcoal element, and of course the RO membrane which will do the brunt of the work. Salt is dissolved in the water so will pass through the sediment filters. The charcoal element removes stuff like clorine. Each element has a different life expectancy which can vary by water quality.

I cannot really advise on brand as I don't know what brands are available in your area. Mine was made in China and I chose it based on price and local dealer support and availablity of replacement elements.

JKERN

Reaction score
What you need to remmember unlike most other industries name is not everything in the water industry especially when it comes to under the sink point of use ro systems. What i would recommend to you is getting a 5 - stage system that uses cartridges that are 2.5 x 10 in size. You shouldn't need a booster pump if you have good pressure coming out of your well and stick with either a 50 75 or 100 gallon per day system you get more water production and the cost of the membranes are pretty comparable. Plus on most systems built like this nowadays you can get brackish water membranes the same size if you need it and then you only have to change out two components that are not all that expensive. Here in new mexico we see water similar to this in salinity around some of our lakes that have high salt content and our systems work fine at removing the majority of the salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks