Rerouting Plumbing For Vanity...

Users who are viewing this thread

sheellah

Reaction score
I'm in an apartment and I have a 58" vanity that has walls on all three sides. The plumbing lines, and shut off valves are on the left wall instead of coming from behind the sink, which means I have pipes coming from the wall over to my sink, which is in the middle. As it stands now I have a false panel to hide the plumbing. I'm gutting the bathroom and starting from scratch.

Can I have the pipes make a right turn, and go against the wall, and then make another turn to my sink? It's a small 5 X 8 bath, and I'm trying to get all the storage space I can in the vanity. I'm using a vessel sink with a drawer under it with a cut out for the pipe. I would like to use the space where the pipes are now, if I can reroute them over to the back. I will have removable panels on the back of the vanity to allow access to the valves and pipes.

Can this be done, and do apartment buildings usually allow it? I'm in NY. Thanks!

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
The drain line is the only questionable issue. You are only increasing the length by about 2 feet and adding 3 elbows. As long as you have the slope you could probably do it. You need ¼†per foot at least.

Regarding the Apartment issue, if it were me I wouldn't let the Super know and ask for forgiveness later rather then ask permission and face certain denial. :D Seriously though, what business of it is theirs? You aren’t doing anything to the building plumbing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You will not know until you open the wall. There could be other pipes in the way, which could be why the drain is in the side wall rather than routed to the back of the cabinet.

sheellah

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm trying to design my vanity now as it will be custom built. Going to also run it past my plumber when I'm ready, and before anything is made but this gives me some idea as to what can be done.

Would it be better to have an elbow where the lines come out of the walls raising them up to run close to the top of the vanity which will be granite, and then another elbow going down leading into my trap right under my sink? Or maybe the trap fitting can be hooked right into them as the trap curves down and then up again by it's nature. To reach the top part of the vanity the lines would have to be raised about 10" to 12" from where they are now. Is that too much of a grade? I could then have shallow drawers there on top, and have no pipes in the rest of the vanity, except the trap right under the sink. I will use a one handled vanity sink faucet.

I really appreciate your help. This board is really helpful. Thanks again ;-).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The water supply pipes can make turns, but the drain has more restrictions - it must flow downhill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks