rerouting kitchen sink water pipes through wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm installing new cabinets. The hot and cold water pipes currently come through the floor. I would prefer having them come out of the wall and not cutting holes in the cabinet floor.

My concern is ensuring that my soldering job was good and the new pipe connections don't leak. Is there any way of testing my soldered joints prior to closing off the wall, installing the new cabinet and then putting on the supply valves?

thank you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Turning the water on will detemine whether they leak, but there is NO WAY to test their integrity. I seen poorly soldered joints that stayed together for 30 years and then pop apart when a can of peas was dropped on it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use compression valves or FIP (threaded) shutoff valves, you could install them, flush the lines out, and check of leaks before closing up the wall. If you clean the pipe and fittings well, use a tinning flux, and heat the fitting rather than the joint until the solder will flow without the heat applied, the joints should be good. Some extra fittings and some pipe scraps and a little practice, and you should get the hang of it fairly quickly, if you are handy at all. When you get it all right, the solder just gets sucked into the joint. Don't let the bits move until the solder solidifies.

Be careful of running water pipes in exterior walls when you live in areas that get below freezing. There may be a very good reason why they came up through the floor verses running in the walls. No matter how good your joints are, if the pipe freezes, when it thaws, you'll have leaks and a mess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks