Replacing toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having tile installed in our master bath and removed the old toilet. The toilet closet flange is all rusted out and not able to hold one of the closet bolts. Any advice on replacing this? Don't want to accidently mess up the riser pipe resulting in a major job. How easy are these to replace? I see there are so many different kinds and not sure which one I have. Here is a pic if anyone can give some advice I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_141102.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141102.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20200105_141051.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141051.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 181

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not replace it probably, but would use a "repair flange" to hold down the bolts. Try putting that term, with the quotes, into the search box above. Make sure your search includes the toilet forum and not just the plumbing forum. I am not a plumber.

Hydroseat could be another possibility. So I would have the tile or flooring run up to the rusty flange, and put the repair flange or hydroseat ears on the finished flooring. My exception would be that if the tile would be porcelain tile, which is very hard to drill, I would maybe modify the process to avoid drilling thru porcelain. I have a couple of ideas for that.

Last edited:

Chris Milot

Reaction score
I would not replace it probably, but would use a "repair flange" to hold down the bolts. Try putting that term, with the quotes, into the search box above. Make sure your search includes the toilet forum and not just the plumbing forum. I am not a plumber.

Hydroseat could be another possibility. So I would have the tile or flooring run up to the rusty flange, and put the repair flange or hydroseat ears on the finished flooring. My exception would be that if the tile would be porcelain tile, which is very hard to drill, I would maybe modify the process to avoid drilling thru porcelain. I have a couple of ideas for that.

Thx Reach, I'll see what I can find. It is going to be 6 x 24 porcelain tile. This is also on a concrete slab just in case you can't tell from the photo.

Reach4

Reaction score
Unless your tile person can drill the holes or leave small slots for screws, I think I would either
  1. make spacers that are easy to drill to substitute where the tiles were omitted to support the legs. The toilet base hides all of that.
  2. in the case of the rings holes in ears and other holes in the main ring, I would use the inner holes and screw down thru the rusty flange. I like Tapcons. Many pros prefer the lead anchors.

Chris Milot

Reaction score
I can probably have the tile guy do whatever I need them to do but I was looking at some repair flanges. This 2 piece (https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Toilet-Flange-Repair-Ring/dp/B008BIGDL8) looks like it would work. I would basically just bust out the rusted metal part and leave the PVC part of the current flange. Then Slip this 2 piece underneath the lip of the remaining pvc part and screw it into the cement. My tiler is starting tmw but won't get to the bathroom until probably Wednesday or Thursday. What are your thoughts on that repair flange?

Reach4

Reaction score
I can probably have the tile guy do whatever I need them to do but I was looking at some repair flanges. This 2 piece (https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Toilet-Flange-Repair-Ring/dp/B008BIGDL8) looks like it would work. I would basically just bust out the rusted metal part and leave the PVC part of the current flange. Then Slip this 2 piece underneath the lip of the remaining pvc part and screw it into the cement. My tiler is starting tmw but won't get to the bathroom until probably Wednesday or Thursday. What are your thoughts on that repair flange?
It may be great, but I am not sure.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Chief-886-MRM-Moss-Bay-Two-Piece-Flange-Repair-Ring-Kit-1-Card