Replacing Flange Cover on Pressure Tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

nltaylor32

Reaction score
So I probably shouldn't be doing this work myself but I am too cheap nor trusting enough to pay someone else to do it.

I installed a new pressure tank about a year ago and had trouble threading the 1 in pipe into the flange on the bottom of the tank. I was worried that I cross threaded it and it would leak. So to get to the point, it did leak just a tiny bit at first and then sealed up after a couple of weeks. Now a year later it is leaking where the 1 in. Pipe threads into the flange.

I have found the replacement part (flange cover) and will be attempting the repair soon and was just wondering if there are any surprises to expect. There are no o-rings or gaskets listed on the parts diagram but would think that there must be something of the sort to make a seal between the tank and the flange cover. Any thoughts or insight would be very much appreciated even if it is to say that it is a pretty straight forward job.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't like pressure tanks that have a replaceable flange. That means they have a replaceable bladder or bag, which is the kind of tank that always needs the bladder or bag replaced.

Big surprise if you don't let all the air out before loosening the flange. I had a tank flange hit me in the belly from the 30 PSI that was still in the tank. Sounded like a cannon, knocked me back on the floor, and left a big bruise the exact shape of the flange. Ouch!!! But it could have been worse, so be careful.

nltaylor32

Reaction score
I don't like pressure tanks that have a replaceable flange. That means they have a replaceable bladder or bag, which is the kind of tank that always needs the bladder or bag replaced.

Big surprise if you don't let all the air out before loosening the flange. I had a tank flange hit me in the belly from the 30 PSI that was still in the tank. Sounded like a cannon, knocked me back on the floor, and left a big bruise the exact shape of the flange. Ouch!!! But it could have been worse, so be careful.

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up.

Was the bladder compromised on the tank that knocked you off your feet? I am assuming, or hoping, that my one year old tank has a bladder that is still in tact. So then my assumption would have been just to drain all of the water. I guess I need to relieve the air pressure as well before i attempt this repair.

One other quick question. Brass male threads to plastic female threads, does that need tape or sealant?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the construction. I like silicone grease for rubber seals. The purpose, as I understand it, is to facilitate the flow of the rubber to fill any imperfections.

For threaded connections, read about Rectorseal #5 ,which can be used with teflon tape or without. Rectorseal makes some other compounds that you might want to read about.

Only use teflon on tapered threads -- not on straight threads.

In inserting threaded connections, I like to turn the thread CCW for a time or two and start CW once I feel the little click that occurs once per rotation when the thread falls to the next thread. The purpose is to prevent cross-threading.

nltaylor32

Reaction score
For threaded connections, read about Rectorseal #5 ,which can be used with teflon tape or without. Rectorseal makes some other compounds that you might want to read about.

Rector? Damned near killed her.....:D

Just kidding thanks for your $.02.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks