replacing a section of cast iron main sewer line with?

Users who are viewing this thread

dsds--

Reaction score
I need to replace a leaking section of 4" of main cast iron sewer pipe. (its actually slowly seeping around a hub connection (on hub side)).
The pipe is hung at about shoulder level and is easily accessible. The minimum replacement length is probably about 2-4 feet.

I've been reading about the options and my head is spinning..
Schedule 80 with no-hub shielded coupling - thicker walls to reduce noise (the replacement section is under bedroom), but also thicker walls that reduce the ID. But is it really thicker than Cast Iron, especially considering all the crust inside?

Schedule 40 - standard, larger ID, more noise from rushing water?

Cast Iron - one to one match, but so many people say go with PVC, replace as much as possible.

I can somewhat easily replace about 20 feet of cast iron (from one existing coupling to another, with a 90 degree bend between two 10s). Should I be doing that? S40? S80? DWV?

please give me some pointers on direction!

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Schedule 80 4 inch PVC is going to be hard to get. Do you find it available? But your thought that thicker would be quieter makes sense.

Remember to support the cast iron before cutting.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hands down cast iron is quiet . Id run plastic I dont get your point on size differances never heard of sch 80 dwv pipe . if you want to run cast iron its just a few bands and one 90 go for it .

Reach4

Reaction score
There is another option... PVC DWV pipe is available as solid and foamcore. There is some schedule 40 4 inch PVC that is triple rated: pressure, DWV, and well casing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
basicaly 100 percent of single family homes have plastic waste pipe unless its fire rating or real high end homes that are looking to quiet down . or just a owner that for whatever reason likes cast iron . Im a big cast iron fan ive run miles of it literally mainl on almost exclusively on commercial , industrial, institutional work, and multi or high rise resedential. boils down to money and preferance either should out live you.
We use 2 kinds of pipe sch 40 abs foam core or cast iron. there is some pvc in use in my region I dont know why but I see it at suppliers they might have a few fittings at big box store but its still highly uncommon in my area and state

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
No hub Cast iron is quiet and Mission couplings are available from NH to XHCI .

We use them constantly.

Just make sure you use Clevis hangers Galvanized coated and threaded rod NOT band iron and consider installing a cleanout Tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks