Replace toilet flange on cast iron

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by coyo5050, Nov 7, 2012.

1. coyo5050

coyo5050 New Member

I am replacing the floor in the second story bathroom and the current height of the flange is not high enough. Currently it looks like some something made of PVC with a metal ring inside the iron hub. I've attached pictures, sorry not the best and I know I should have cleaned the rest of the wax seal off. (Or cleaned more in general) My question is, what is the best way to raise the height with this setup, replace, extend? I need about 1/2 of an inch.

Thank you!

Brendan

20121107_053103.jpg 20121107_053124.jpg

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    I, and most plumbers, would break the flange off and install a new cast iron one. I am not sure how you should do it, because i don't know your abilities.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. coyo5050

coyo5050 New Member

The plastic was just from the the wax ring which pulled right out when I cleaned off the wax. It is actually a metal flange attached to the inside of the cast iron. It is on there very solid and looks to be in good shape. I will attach new pics. Is it possible to add height to this? In all of my searching through the forums I havent found anything like this so I dont know what it is properly called.

20121107_081052.jpg 20121107_081117.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    I also don't "know what it is called" because I don't know how they could have attached that flange to a cast iron pipe.