Replace shallow well jet pump with submersible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Have lived in my current home for 25 years, replacing the single drop shallow well jet pump 3 times during that time as the pump wore out.

The input to the pump comes through the basement wall, and is 1.5 inch galvanized. I installed a new whole house filter a year ago, and now I regularly see some chunks of what I think is
rusted pipe at the bottom of that filter. Since the house is now 60 years old, I assume the galvanized well pipes are that old, and probably at the end of their life.

I dug down to that pipe as it exits from the house (about 3 ft down) and the pipe certainly is very much corroded. However, I am not (yet) getting air in the system and the water quality is
good. Given the age of the pipes, and the water safety concerns of a jet pump vs a submerged pump, I am considering installation of a new submerged well pump and plumbing.

Is this a difficult undertaking? Most wells in this area are 3 or 4 inch bored wells, so I assume I am going to find that the well pipe goes out some distance from the house, and then
attaches to a 90 deg elbow at the well casing, and then attaches to the down pipe and foot valve. Is it as simple as pulling out the down pipe, and putting in a submersible pump to the
same depth as the bottom of the existing foot valve? I know about the wiring, pitless adapter, and extension of the casing to the surface topped by a well cap, but I don't see much
information on how to remove the existing plumbing in the casing.

Thanks for your help!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The real question will be whether the casing is large enough for a submersible. The other question is whether there is a cased downpipe with a footvalve or a single pipe with a sandpoint. Given that a shallow well pump works now, there is a chance the well isn't too deep if it turns out you need a new casing also.

Submersibles tend to be twice as efficient as a jet pump and being water cooled tend to last a long time. I pulled up my 12 year old pump this year that was still running. Still, the average lifespan on a submersible is 8 years and it looks like you are getting about that on your jet pumps too.

Reaction score
The real question will be whether the casing is large enough for a submersible. The other question is whether there is a cased downpipe with a footvalve or a single pipe with a sandpoint. Given that a shallow well pump works now, there is a chance the well isn't too deep if it turns out you need a new casing also.

Submersibles tend to be twice as efficient as a jet pump and being water cooled tend to last a long time. I pulled up my 12 year old pump this year that was still running. Still, the average lifespan on a submersible is 8 years and it looks like you are getting about that on your jet pumps too.

Thanks for the reply. How do you determine if you need a new casing? I will have to use a hole saw to install the pitless adapter. Is there a known thickness of the casing that I should be looking for?

Reaction score
Only way to know is to dig up the well head and have a look.

Thanks for the advise. Here is what I have found at the well head. This is my first time looking at a well, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what is my next step.

well head.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks