Replace Sewer Main Line or use RootX?

Users who are viewing this thread

MJN

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your time. I'm looking for some expert advice on whether or not I should replace my main sewer line. It's 4 inch clay pipe for a house built in 1955 in Los Angeles county. It's about a 50 ft run from where it exits the home to the sidewalk.
The main line recently backed up and I had it rodded and a camera revealed tree roots in 2 spots. I didn't see any visible breaks, but the camera had to go under some water by the larger root ball. I was offered hydro-jetting as a temporary fix or a trenchless pipe replacement.
So I started digging up the line because I can dig for free. I started at the clean-out where the line exits the house, and I planned to replace with sch40 ABS to the street. An older (pretty handy) neighbor of mine came by and suggested I was wasting time and energy digging out along the side of the house when the problem is in the front yard under a 20ft tree planted right above the sewer line (his assessment was correct since the camera showed the first roots at 35ft from the cleanout... where the tree is). He made me think when he said that I'm removing good clean pipe to replace it with plastic. The pipe did look good on the camera. So then I stopped digging and started checking the internet - so here I am...
Options as I see them:

1)Keep digging and replace clay main sewer line with sch40 ABS from house to sidewalk (so far I have about 12ft of the pipe exposed).
2)Use RootX and see how it goes (with potential occasional snake rentals from Home Depot)
3)Get rid of the tree (easier than a 50 foot trench through clay soil), use RootX and see how it goes.

I'd be grateful for your expert opinions, including any other options I may not be considering.
Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Another option may be to replace the section of pipe in the vicinity of the tree. Depending on the amount of pitch in the pipe, you may be able to offset the line around the existing root system.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You neighbor is right. The clay should be fine, and if you know where the problem is, just fix that.
Normally though, I snake with cutters gets rid of the roots, and then some Rootx keeps them away. Maybe don't tear it out.

MJN

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Another option may be to replace the section of pipe in the vicinity of the tree. Depending on the amount of pitch in the pipe, you may be able to offset the line around the existing root system.

I can't re-route due to the pipe being essentially on the property line and the tree is on the other side

You neighbor is right. The clay should be fine, and if you know where the problem is, just fix that.
Normally though, I snake with cutters gets rid of the roots, and then some Rootx keeps them away. Maybe don't tear it out.

Can the RootX potentially be a solution as long as I use it on a regular schedule. Or is it realistically more like something to buy time until the pipe is repaired. Would you use RootX indefinitely at your home, or would your repair/replace the pipe?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Consider Trenchless main line, if your clay line is in fairly good condition.

When digging to replace a main line, you have to follow CAL OSHA codes. What could go wrong if you don't?
A plumber was digging in Malibu and was not shoring, the thing collapsed and buried one of his workers alive. That's one big headache and one huge legal mess.

I have replaced Clay with ABS before. No roots can penetrate ABS, they can grow around the pipe but can't get in.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I hate using any chemicals and if I had to pick one to kill roots then I would use copper sulphate as it is very effective on killing roots

Replace the defective section .. I happen to like using extra heavy cast iron underground but that my personal choice and I do settle for No Hub Cast Iron (domestic only)

Reach4

Reaction score
Root-X foams, to try to also kill the roots on the top part of the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks