Replace dinosaur electric with electric, power or direct vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

mr_littlejeans

Reaction score
We have a 26yo rheem electric water heater that keeps on ticking. I have no idea what repairs have been made since we've only owned the house for 2 years. We've recently finished our basement and added a whirlpool tub. I'm nervous regarding the ancient water heater failing and flooding the new carpet so I'm researching replacement options. Their is no flu on that side of the house but their is a gas line so my options are another electric or a direct or power vent, correct? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the direct and power vent. The current water heater is on an outside wall - we would have to go through the brick to vent it outside if we go the gas route. I guess I am interested in looking into gas because we live in the Chicago area and our electric rates are really high. I have looked into tankless - but can't justify the expense with our cold water. I also have 3 little girls and see long showers in our future:) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kinsey

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Direct vent often refers to a unit that uses 2 pipes (unless the model has concentric piping):1 for the intake, 1 for the exhaust. Power vent units by contrast usually only need 1 pipe, for the exhaust, and take in their air from the surrounding area. Direct vent units are useful if it is a small enclosure that you want to put the water heater in, or there isn't alot of air flow to where it is located. Either way, you will be drilling holes for a flue, even if it is through the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, a power vent is nearly a normal gas WH, but has a fan to force the exhaust where you want it...it still draws combustion air from inside.

A direct vent is usually a closed combustion - it either uses two vents, or a concentric vent and draws the combustion air from outside while forcing the exhaust outside.

A direct vent will be quieter, a power vent can be somewhat noisey.

If you use hot water for your heat, you could use an indirectly fired WH...this becomes essentially a new zone for the boiler.

You can install a drain pan under the WH which, assuming you have a place to drain it to, should eliminate the carpet damage. Also look at a device called WATS if you go with gas, as it will both shut the water and gas off if it detects a leak.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would stay with electric. They are so much simpler, and gas prices are only going to climb too. A new electric one might be much more effcient than your old one. I hate to think what the lime buildup on the heating elements are doing to its performance after all of these years.

Normally the constraint is the other way round. Moving from gas to electric is often a challenge because the house requires enough juice. I doubt my 100 amp panel could take an electric water heater. Maybe one day I'll get one.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
I'd stick with a gas unit if long showers are in the future...they generally have a quicker recovery rate. Bradford rates it's electric 40 Gallons for 56-58 gallon first hour recovery, and it's direct vent model at 71. Also, unless you have alternate fuel electricity, chances are as gas prices climb, so will your electric bill. I know down here in Texas, a large majority of our electricity comes from natural gas...it kinda cuts out the middleman to have gas-based water heaters

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But think of all that CO an CO2 a gas heater pumps into our poor atmosphere. I wish I could go electric or nuclear.

Do they do a uranium powered WH?

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Very True. though alot of those direct vent and power vent units put out alot less CO and NOX than standard water heaters, depending on the design...certainly less than the electricity plants probably put out as they do their thing.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Rheem power vent and it is great. This is an older unit and requires 4" PVC or ABS venting, but new ones use smaller pipe and can run longer distances. Stay with gas. Heats faster so you don't need as large of a tank as with electric.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
bradford white 75 gallon power vent for 3 girls....

if you have the whirlpool tub installed

and you have 3 GIRLS in the home ,
you are screwed ....only an 80 gal electric would suffice... for about 1000 installed

as the girls grow up they are going to destroy an electric heater..... with longer and longer showers...

just get the 75 gallon power vent with a 10year tank warranty ...it will be around 2200. installed.

the saveings will eventually catch up and pass the electric heater...

it will keep up with the demand and if it were to go out
in 9 1/2 years, it would still have a warranty....

you wont get that with a tankless.

dont worry about the environmnet
we are already past the point of no return.
China is killing it as we speak.......

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
just get the 75 gallon power vent with a 10year tank warranty ...in 9 1/2 years, it would still have a warranty....

You advocate purchasing the add on 4 year insurance policy AKA 10 year warranty? Its the same heater as the 6 year warranty which will probably last 10 years average life just a higher cost.:confused:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'd still go with the electric. Can you not give one up for adoption and marry another off?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmm Electric... Around here we just had a 40-50% increase in electric rates... They have several plants here known as the dirty dozen that buy emission credits from other companies that have cleaned up their acts and then we always have ole 3 domes with the fish in the bay that have a strange glow with almost weekly releases.... I don't know how you could find that clean and economical!

Go Gas!

Last edited:

TorontoTim

Reaction score
Definitely gas. If you don't already have one, soon enough you'll have a smart meter on your house which will send the electric company your usage every 5 seconds. This allows them to bill you different rates at different times of the day.

Your daytime rate will triple, your night rate will be a third. Seeing as all your hot water use will be during the day....

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
75 powwer vent

You advocate purchasing the add on 4 year insurance policy AKA 10 year warranty? Its the same heater as the 6 year warranty which will probably last 10 years average life just a higher cost.:confused:

Its just like buying insurance if you can get it on the 75 gallon units ..
.you are paying at least close to 2000 for the unit either way.
and if it were to go ou tin 6 1/2 years then you wish you wold have done it.....

its their money and their gamble......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks