Removing Cartridge Nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Roback

Reaction score
I had posted thread a week ago but not specific enough! Need help!
I have a single lever faucet with a cartridge retaining nut that measures 32mm (by caliper) from flat side to flat side. Measured gap from corners of nut to inside of the cartridge body which measures approx 5mm. I have tried two different 32mm and one 1.25 sockets which don't fit into the socket body. No SAE shower wrench socket works. Either too small or large. The cartridge nut sits just below the cartridge cavity, so I can't get to it with channel locks. I've already tried and rounded the nut slightly. Any advice would be very helpful. I found something that worked a few years ago but cannot remember what for the life if me. I am at a loss.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 308

Reach4

Reaction score
While you have your calipers, measure the ID of the cartridge body. How does that compare to the OD of the 32 mm sockets you tried?

Note that impact sockets are thicker than regular sockets.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the picture: You will have to be extremely lucky to get any kind of a bite on this worn out nut.

What's the way out? Replace the faucet.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
First you wrote: " The cartridge nut sits just below the cartridge cavity, so I can't get to it with channel locks. I've already tried and rounded the nut slightly."

You tried and rounded the nut to the point of no return.

Then you wrote: "I think there is enough real estate to get a socket on it. Just need to find one that fits!

Unless your picture is misleading, I don't think that a socket can get o grip strong enough to get going.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks