Removal of Bathtub Drain Piece

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bbbluueyes, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bbbluueyes

bbbluueyes New Member

Hi - thanks in advance for any advice.

I am trying to remove a bathtub drain piece(on the floor of the bathtub) in order to install a new overflow piece and drain piece.

Is there a special tool to do this? I have tried a needle nose pliers with not success. The "grill" of the drain piece is totally gone...

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
    Paul
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

A Dumbell Wrench is used in that application. But it grips on the cross in the drain. Is that still there?

If the drain looks like the one below, you may need to pull the "shoe" out with a wire coat hanger.

I snake from the upper overflow, but the linkage and the stopper need to be pulled out first.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  3. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

If a dumbbell does not work you may have to get a sawzall and carefully cut drain plug out.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

This has been described before. Basically cut a notch in the rim of the drain, ensure you don't go too deep and damage the tub. Then, use a cold chisel in that notch to wack it counter-clockwise to unscrew it from the shoe below.
  5. bbbluueyes

bbbluueyes New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the responses - i will give it a shot !
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Like this if the cross bars are gone.

[​IMG]
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

The cutout slot must go all the way to the rim so the remainder can flex inward and release the thread and that is where the novice can create a problem and/or damage the bathtub.
  8. trevor.smith

trevor.smith New Member

I've run into some trouble.

I am trying to remove my bathtub drain, but of course I have run into a problem. I put a notch in the drain for the chisel to sit while striking it with a hammer (although mine did not look nearly as nice as the picture from The Family Handyman), but the drain collar broke off while in the process of tapping it loose! Please advise as to the best course of action for proceeding. Since the collar broke off, I tried to saw a notch down the length of the remaining portion of the drain (perpendicular to the threads) to catch the chisel and tap loose the drain. But, this does not work. The drain and associated plumbing now have a lot of give so each strike of the hammer moves the plumbing and lessens the effect of the strike. It is as if the plumbing is subject to damage with each strike. Is there a way for me to free the remaining portion of drain, or am I relegated to a more drastic measure such as replacing the attached pipe? Thanks for your help.
  9. Cass

Cass Plumber

I do that only I use a sawsall...it makes the job go quicker but you do have to be very carefull not to cut the tub...so far I havent cut a tub...
  10. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Make a 2nd cut 1/4" away from your perpendicular cut. Then remove the 1/4" section. Take a small screw driver an peal the rest out.

John
  11. Cass

Cass Plumber

I cut out 1/3 of it...
  12. trevor.smith

trevor.smith New Member

Thanks

I will try it now...
  13. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

I make an 1/8" slot. But if things are moving, you may already have gone too far, and now may have to replace the entire drain.