Regular PEX OK as short connectors in HWH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I have baseboard fin/tube heat at my cottage. Copper pipe, 180° temp. I need to make a couple small changes to the layout thanks to some remodeling. Is it OK to use regular PEX as a flex connector from an emitter to the copper pipe, or must oxygen-barrier PEX be used even on short connections?

What's you opinion on using PEX in this application vs pricey flex connectors with compression ends?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Most PEX can take the heat at 180F, but if it's not oxygen barrier PEX it increases the oxidation rates of iron components in the system. If it's really short it probably doesn't matter.

Using soft copper tubing to make the bends and sweat soldered connections can work if it's not flexing over a large angle.

Most heating systems don't really need 180F water, even at Polar Vortex disturbance cold snaps.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
But pretty standard for a minimally insulated log home on the 45th parallel.

But still probably not necessary. Most systems set up for 180F water can heat the house at the 99% outside design temp with 140F water, and Polar Vortex event coolth with 160F water. There are exceptions, of course.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks