Reducing Slamming of Two Check Valves on Sump Pump Discharge line

Users who are viewing this thread

bender123

Reaction score
I installed a Zoeller Basement Sentry 507 battery backup pump inline with the discharge line as shown in the installation manual below. It required me to add a second check valve on the discharge line between the main pump and the backup pump.

http://www.deanbennett.com/basement-sentry-507-install.pdf
Page 5, figure 1..

I then replaced the original check valve that was located about three feet above the basement floor with a Klunkless Basement Watchdog check valve to relieve the check valve slamming that was happening after the pump shut off, but this has not reduced the slamming noise.

I guess I have a few questions:

1. Will a "klunkless" valve stop only hammering or will it also close quietly and not "slam"?

2. Is it possible that a "slient" valve can be rendered useless when there is a normal check valve below it? It's possible for the lower check valve to still slam shut if the upper silent valve is open a little longer duration of time?

3. Is my only option at this point to replace the Watchdog valve with a Campbell quiet valve and see if it improves or is the physics of question 2 impossible to overcome?

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think you read into the instructions a bit too much. You only need one check valve between the two pumps.
The back-up pump has it's own check valve built into it.

bender123

Reaction score
So, when I installed the new check valve between the two pumps I should have removed the original check valve that was above the pit?

Do you know of anyway I can silence the check valve slamming or am I stuck at this point?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yes.
A silent check valve is a silent check valve.
If you stack 2 check valves, you are asking for trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks