Red Jacket 50N1 control box help.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rhuian, Jun 25, 2012.

1. rhuian

rhuian New Member

Bought this house a few years back and am just now getting around to putting my well to work. I pulled the pump out yesterday and this is what I found:

RED JACKET, 1/2 HP 208/230 VOLT,60HZ,11H 7.2A,CODE

L,50N1,3450 RPM,PT.179-314,3 WIRE

There's no control box in the garage where the wires terminate. If there was one it was cut out. I need to find a diagram or person who knows what sorta Cap I'm going to need when building my own control box.

Any pointers?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

No sense in reinventing the wheel. Control boxes are not that expensive. Just get a 1/2 HP Franklin box and you are in business.
  3. rhuian

rhuian New Member

Thanks, Thats what I was initially going to do but I'd talked to a local guy who didn't think that my particular pump had a Franklin motor. It has a plastic cap on the bottom which lead him to believe it was one of the pumps where Red Jacket used their own motor. I looked for a Red Jacket CB but couldn't find one.

Is there any real way to tell which motor I'm dealing with and does it matter? Will a Franklin box work either way?
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

My Grundfos doesn't have a Franklin motor but I use a Franklin control box. Are you sure it is a 3 wire and needs a control box? Maybe it's 2 wires plus ground?
  5. rhuian

rhuian New Member

It has red, yellow and black. I think 2 wire plus ground would be black black and green?
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

With just red, yellow, black, without a green you can't be sure. They could be using red, yellow, black because that is the only kind of wire they had. Then they splice it to two blacks and a green at the motor. Really need an ohm meter to see if any of those wires are grounded. If one of them is grounded, it is a two wire motor. If the two lowest ohm readings addup to the highest ohm reading between the three wires, it is a three wire motor and needs a control box.
  7. rhuian

rhuian New Member

Thanks, I'd already picked up a 1/2 horse control box from Lowes and wired it up and it works!