Recirculation pump system

Users who are viewing this thread

HemiMoparGuy1981

Reaction score
Looking at installing a recirculation pump, because hot water take "forever" to get to kitchen, and also upstairs bath. Of course they are exact opposite ends of pipe run...can I run two bypass valves and one pump? Or is there a better way? Kitchen I COULD run a return line, but amount of work and cost of pipe and fittings seems higher than $38 for the valve

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
This pipe run? Does each sink feed off the same main from the water heater? does heated water enter at one end or teed somewhere in the middle? Usually a 3/4" pipe to feed appliances and 1/2" to each appliance.

HemiMoparGuy1981

Reaction score
This pipe run? Does each sink feed off the same main from the water heater? does heated water enter at one end or teed somewhere in the middle? Usually a 3/4" pipe to feed appliances and 1/2" to each appliance.
There is a tee about 2 ft away from heater in basement. One side goes over and up to 2nd floor, other goes out and across a crawl space, tees to washer, continues then tees apart to another full bath and the kitchen

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
You will need two bypass valves at the furthest ends of the each run. Since it tees off for two different direction, with just one at the upstairs bathroom, the kitchen would have not have the benefit of the recirculating water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suggest several hours after no hot water has been used in home to do a simple test.
1 open hot water at faucet in sink thats been bugging you when it gets warm turn it off. 2 go to other sink repeat if a long wait you probebly do need 2 bridge valves.
you could try reversing the proceedure on which hot water is ran first and see if only putting one will help.
Adding additional valves later should be an option.
this isnt a perfect system but you could be satisfied with results

HemiMoparGuy1981

Reaction score
Another question as I am about to hook this all up...What happens if pump is on, but no water is being used, hot or cold...I'm thinking along the lines of a car doing a burnout...basically, the impeller is pushing water, but it was nowhere to go because no faucets are open.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another question as I am about to hook this all up...What happens if pump is on, but no water is being used, hot or cold...I'm thinking along the lines of a car doing a burnout...basically, the impeller is pushing water, but it was nowhere to go because no faucets are open.
it goes through the return back to water heater unless you have a bridge valve follow directions on how it installs and works

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If this is a two pipe system, the cold water side brings the heated water back to the water heater. The bridge valve. Is a check valve, water flows in one direction and prevents cold water mixing with the hot water side when water is drawn at a faucet. It is essentially a hydronic heating system . As the pump runs heat get dissipated from the pipes.

it's why the timer can run in intervals. If you set it for 24/7, your fuel or electric bill will go shy high since your heating the home at all the time. Another is your hot water may be ok when first opening the faucet, but if you go cold, the heated water will flow from the cold pipe until the cold water flushes out the heated water. It's all a balancing act. Timer on such as mornings and evenings. Occasionally during the day if someone is home all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks