receiver for garage door opener

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by yaron, Oct 27, 2010.

1. yaron

yaron New Member

I have stanley et380 garage door motor. the receiver stop working. It got supply of 24VAC from the engine box.

I bought LM138 universal receiver that should work (according to manufacturer) with my motor.

the receiver has 3 wires. two should connect in parallel with the manual switch and the third should connect to the "COM" terminal (i.e 12 or 24 VDC).

I did not find any com point in the terminal. How should I connect the receiver ?
    I attached pic of the terminal

thanks
    Yaron

Attached Files:

2. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Post the install instructions. These hieroglyphics are of not much use. How do you know it is the receiver and not the transmitter?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF the receiver gets its power from the motor box, it has to have TWO wires to it, not just a COM wire.
  4. yaron

yaron New Member

manual.jpg

Thanks for your answers.
    Attached the install instructions.
    The old receiver gets its power from the Engine box, I asked about the new one.
    I bought new receiver with 2 remote controls so it is not relevant now where was the problem.

thanks for any advice.

Yaron
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Your wire colors don't seem to match the instructions, but if you believe it is installed correctly then, with a multimeter,
    confirm that you are getting 15 to 26 vac into this receiver,
    confirm that the voltage across the push button terminals drops to zero when the button is pushed and
    confirm that this receiver is drawing some current, possibly dozens of AC milliamps.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  6. yaron

yaron New Member

How it end up

The motor is old and you can get only 24VAC supply for receiver.
    I add external supplier of 12VDC and it is working fine.
    Thanks

Yaron
  7. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Measure and record the current draw in case you ever need to troubleshoot this.