Re Leviton 50A Surface Mount Outlet:

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Need to mount this on the wall in back of a new electric range. I'm planning on running the cable through the drywall and through the rear knockout.

GE says to install it horizontally.

Two questions:

1. It seems to me that it should be mounted very firmly. I don't see how I can attach it to the stud, use the rear knockout, and mount it horizontally.

2. Should the bottom edge literally be resting on the tile floor, or raised up a bit?

TIA.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It should be wherever the installation instructions say it should be, because that is probably where there is space behind the range for it and the cord's plug in.

oldberkeley

Reaction score
It should be wherever the installation instructions say it should be, because that is probably where there is space behind the range for it and the cord's plug in.

Yep, I've got that part covered, it will be in the correct space. My questions are about actually mounting it horizontally to the wall, and if the bottom edge should be touching the floor.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it is too tight to the floor, you might find that the molded appliance plug will not fit. I use a stub of EMT through the floor and the height if the EMT connector is how high the receptacle gets mounted. If I needed to, I would add more blocking in the wall and repair the wallboard.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are using the surface mount receptacles I am familiar with, they are easier to mount horizontally because the length lets you attach to a stud and still have access to the rear wire opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks