RE: Cistern problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Selgea

Reaction score
OK there is water coming from the pump although I have no pressure 10 right now. I'm going to let it run and see if it builds up. i forgot to mention one thing that might have been important. When we primed the pump after getting the cistern filled one of the black PVC pipes out from the pmp burst! I've seen them split, crack but this actually put a hole as though it bubbled out till it broke. Back to the pump...as I said it is running but it doesnt sound well either. It goes from sounding normal to almost a straining sound. Since this is the only water source we cant turn it off unless absolutely imperitive. How long should it take for the sytem to build up pressure?

Selgea

Reaction score
Pump problem?

I think it must be a pump problem cause while building pressure the pump itself turned off...normally the pressure module turns the pump off when the desired pressure is reached. The pump is warm as well..even the water is warm. Is the pump clogged? So do I try to unclog it or just replace the pump? Atleast I have water for now!

dumberplumber

Reaction score
Cistern problem

What type of pump are you using and where is it located with respect to the cistern? How much pipe do you have to fill in order to get the pump primed? And do you know whether or not the pump is actually primed?

If the pump does not get primed properly and it runs for any length of time ( 5 plus minutes) it is going to get warm and eventually hot. When it is primed properly the pressure should start to build up quite quickly, depending upon the size of pressure tank you are using.

Depending on the routing of the pipe between the water and the pipe it could be that you have an air lock which you would have to get rid of.

From my experience the most difficult thing about a problem is finding out what the problem really is. Once that is done the problem is usually easy to fix.

I know what you are going through. I exist on a cistern only also. Good luck.

Selgea

Reaction score
Well the cistern is over 25ft deep. The pipes to the house must be buried outside and are quite long because the pump is on the opposite side of the house(Not sure how long) I have primed the pump before and know when it stops excepting anymore water. You can see the water. The pump itself is a wayne 1/2 hp shallow well jet pump. made for 0-25ft. The pressure did start building and is even holding. However the pressure module that is supposed to shut off the pump is not what is shutting it off. the pump it self is turning off as it gets warm. I have water to the taps but a curious thing is that it was not filling the toilet. there is water to the tub right next to it??? OK I'm baffled

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You've burned up the pump. Now it is running and gets hot and the thermal overload protection shuts it off until it cools and comes on again. It will keep doing this until the water gets hot enough to effect the PE pipe you have or the pump won't come on again.

Wayne is not a quality pump. You'd do much better with a pump Speedbump or a local pump supply house.

BTW, you can Reply to post instead of starting another thread.

Selgea

Reaction score
Well the pump and all the plumbing problems came with the house. For example we have radien heat that runs under the house, problem is they put into the concrete slab and if anything goes wrong you have to tear up the fondation. We dont use it anymore! So I have to replace the pump? Problem is I live in rural Southern Illinois and basically we have few choices..either Lowes or Home Depot. Do you think replacing it will be the end of the problem?
I'm curious Why would I get decent return fron the Tub and sink and yet the toilet wonyt fill up?
Sorrry about the new post but as it was acting up I wanted to make sure it wasnt going to blowup or something it seems as though it takes hours to get a response sometimes

Selgea

Reaction score
The pipe is unfortunately imbedded into the floor. It comes out of the concrete slab into the on/off valve. I will rmove it to see if there is anything blocking or coming out. However if it is before the valve I'm screwed!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks