Ran over the well cap, reconnected wires no water pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ronivw, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ronivw

ronivw New Member

Ran over the well cap this afternoon collecting leaves. The electrical wire got cut and I have reconnected it. The well cap is in the trash and I have not replaced it yet. Used the water for a couple hours, flushing the toilet, drinking water. Water pressure started to drop when I took a shower. When I first checked the gauge I was getting 20 psi, now the pressure is at zero and will not build. Any ideas what to check. Supposed to ran like crazy tomorrow.
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I'd check the splices you made putting the cut wires back together.
  3. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Current is what moves motors. Check the current draw with a clamp-on ammeter.

I can't seem to pull it up right now but there is a table in the NEC possibly numbered 400 something that gives max. current draw for several types of motors.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. ronivw

ronivw New Member

Re- did the wiring, and water is getting to the pressure tank, I replaced the pressure switch but it does not build pressure? It does not seem to be turning on or off. There 220v going into the switch and 220v out. Any ideas?
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Check the voltage out at the well head. There might be some damage to the wiring you did not notice.
  6. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Is there power getting to the wires that you spliced? There could be an overload tripped or fuse somewhere before the splice at the wellhead.
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Since redoing the wire connections out at the well, and now you have water again but not enough pressure to shut off the switch, you probably have a water leak.

Or you don't have the wires connected right and aren't getting 220v to the pump and it's running on 120v. You can use a meter and sharp pointed probes on the wires below your connections for 120v each to ground.

Listen inside the well casing for water spraying. If so and you have a pitless adapter, you may have damaged the o-ring seal of the pitless or bumped the casing so the o-ring is not sealed. Or, you bumped the casing enough to cause a leak underground just outside the casing where the water line to the house attaches to the pitless part that comes out through the casing. My guess would be that the voltage isn't 220 to the pump.
  8. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Water leak in the well.