radiator won't heat up

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fast pasquale, Feb 5, 2007.

1. fast pasquale

fast pasquale hardwood flooring contractor

I removed my radiator (one pipe system) in the bathroom as I remodled it. When i put it back it no longer gets hot. Wondering what went wrong. Im aware that it should be pitched toward the pipe.. which it is. The pipe isn't warm at all... any ideas?? thanks so much
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

You must have a vent on the end of the rad. It's one that vents to atmosphere and draws air when the steam pressure stops to allow condensate to drain back.........
  3. fast pasquale

yes. It has a vent. I took it off and....um.. man it's been a while. I either soaked it in vinegar over nite... or i may have boiled it.. not sure... but i was given the advice to check the vent from a plumber friend of mine a few months ago. i reapplied pipe dope and put it back on. still doesn't work.
  4. fast pasquale

any ideas guys?
  5. more gruel please

more info a little or a lot
    that'll help make your thread hot.
  6. fast pasquale

I Fixed It!!...
  7. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Please tell us what you had to do...............
  8. fast pasquale

umm... well ...uh... ok...Don't laugh.... The handle had broke off years ago.... but i was still able to manipulate the screw that was left there. I had opened (turned) the screw and assumed that this was opening the valve.. it wasn't. i took some slip joint pliers to the piece that the screw was attached to an opened it up.. THIS actually controlled the valve. The pipe got hot instantly and started to fill up the radiator.. AHHHH... nice warm bathroom when it's 2 degrees outside.. I know.. I know... Hey.. I refinish hardwood floors for a living... Plumbing is something i do to save $....hehe...
  9. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Glad for you.........
  10. fast pasquale

thank you my friend
  11. fast pasquale

now i have a small leak... i was using pipe dope (teflon paste).. is this good enough.. I know some use rector seal.. what would you guys recommend?
  12. fast pasquale

pipe dope fixed it