Quick Pressure Drop

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mikeyboy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy New Member

The water pressure in my home is about 80 - 90 psi. I have an expansion tank connected to my electric water heater and I have a watts pressure reducer after the water meter. When I open a faucet, the water runs normally for about 5 seconds and then you notice the water pressure change and decrease. I look at my water pressure gauge and the water pressure is reading 20 psi. Is it normal for water pressure to drop so much with just opening one faucet?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

No it is not. Does your PRV have a strainer on it?
  3. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy New Member

I dont know. This prv came with the house and we've been in it for over 2 years now. The prv only has a pipe on each end.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

[​IMG]
    Shouldn't these two threads be merged as one¿ I mean we are talking about the same plumbing problem.
  5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy New Member

Based on the Diagram, can I easily remove that strainer plug gasket?

If I remove that, what should I be looking for?
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Likely some debris. Clean it and replace it. I read and answered your first post before seeing this one, so my answer here is just a tad different. Check the strainer.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

prv

More likely the PRV is defective and needs replacement.